floating particles

Reaction score
need help,I have a 5000gallon pond,I do 25%water changes every other week,have a diy 150gallon filter with filter pads as media.clean the filter once a week.i still have floating particles in the water ,I"ve tried different types of bacteria nothing is working.do I need a sand and gravel filter? Dose any one else have this problem and how did you fix it.thanks

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Why don't you post some photos of your pond and filter. That may give us a better understanding. Do you have any floating plants for shade?

Reaction score
yes, i had the same problem because I live in a area with lots of trees, pollen and just stuff floating on the wind. The only think that solved my dilemma was a skimmer. I've had clear surface water since. A sand filter will give you more polished water, yes. They are simple to build, but require a blower to clean out.

What is floating in your pond? Is it like a greasy, foamy substance?

Reaction score
Thank Koikeepr,sounds like I need a skimmer don't have one now.the particles look like tiny particles of dirt. do you know how I can build a diy skimmer? Thanks

Reaction score
Squidhead just built himself a DIY skimmer. I confess I bought mine off the shelf since I have a semi-raised pond and it would visible.

What is the construction of your pond, delatha? Is it raised or fully under ground? This will help us recommend a reasonable DIY situation for you.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It sounds more like you need a fines filter
if the particles are suspended in the water
If you have a extra pump . they are easy to make and work fast

Reaction score
I decided to add a skimmer last minute just to keep leaves and other stuff that could blow into the pond from sinking or clouding the water. Also it would help eliminate "protien slicks". I will have a waterfall and disc aerator so those bubbles will be bringing all that crap to the surface.
I have experience with planted aquariums and on problem was always floating particles from the plants. I used a "polishing filter" once a week when I did water changes. The particles really got set free after the water changes. The polish filter was nothing more then a whole house sediment filter. It is simple to make. Get the most powerful GPH submersible pump you can find for a reasonable price. Get a sediment filter, I saw the cheapest one at HD for about $17. Plumb the filter to the pump. You will also need a cartridge for the filter. Dont use anything smaller then a10 micron. The pleated type ones work the best because you can sometimes "backwash" them to get more life out of them.
As I am responding I just got an idea of how to do this easier for pond use, but that would be a solution. If you need more details on set up feel free to PM me.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
As a quick fines filter, many have taken a clothes basket and put quilt batting in it. Then just toss a pump into the pond with a hose directed into the batting and in a day your pond is clear.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
delatha said:
how do I make a fines filter/and my pond is inground with a liner.

I have some pics on here about it you have to look way back ..Fines filter
I run one 24 hr a day there is nothing in my water

Reaction score
Delatha, I had the same problem this year so about 2 weeks ago i made a fines filter based on Dr Case's and Dr Dave's except on a smaller scale.

I used an 18 gallon tote storage container.
A milk crate that fits inside the tote.
4 - 3 1/2" sections of 3" pvc legs for the milk crate to keep it off the bottom of the tote.
A shower drain installed on end of the tote at the bottom.
Stuffing from Walmart (cheap!).
A piece of furnace filter on the bottom of the milk crate to help hold the stuffing in.
Another piece of furnace filter on top of the stuffing to catch bigger stuff and help dissipate the water.
2" flexible tubing from shower drain back to pond
It's fed by my existing UV filter set up. I just diverted the 1 1/4" flexible tubing going back to the pond into the tote through a hole on the end opposite the drain near the top of the tote. The cover still fits on the tote.

It cleared the water up within 2 days!

The water isn't perfectly clear but I'm not sure if it ever can be. It's way, way better than it was. I also added a mesh bag filled with activated charcoal under the milk crate hoping it would clear up some of the "tea" color. It doesn't seem to have made a difference yet.

Most of the items I had laying around so it didn't cost much. I'll take and post some photo's if your interested.

Reaction score
Delatha, I had the same problem this year so about 2 weeks ago i made a fines filter based on Dr Case's and Dr Dave's except on a smaller scale.

I used an 18 gallon tote storage container.
A milk crate that fits inside the tote.
4 - 3 1/2" sections of 3" pvc legs for the milk crate to keep it off the bottom of the tote.
A shower drain installed on end of the tote at the bottom.
Stuffing from Walmart (cheap!).
A piece of furnace filter on the bottom of the milk crate to help hold the stuffing in.
Another piece of furnace filter on top of the stuffing to catch bigger stuff and help dissipate the water.
2" flexible tubing from shower drain back to pond
It's fed by my existing UV filter set up. I just diverted the 1 1/4" flexible tubing going back to the pond into the tote through a hole on the end opposite the drain near the top of the tote. The cover still fits on the tote.

It cleared the water up within 2 days!

The water isn't perfectly clear but I'm not sure if it ever can be. It's way, way better than it was. I also added a mesh bag filled with activated charcoal under the milk crate hoping it would clear up some of the "tea" color. It doesn't seem to have made a difference yet.

Most of the items I had laying around so it didn't cost much. I'll take and post some photo's if your interested.

PS3

Reaction score
here is a pic of my fines filter i got a 5 gallon bucket i drilled a hole
at the top to put the hose in from my pump and i drilled a hole
at the bottom so the water goes back and iam useing a old sweat shirt
i leave my fines filter runing allmost all day and it gets all the crud.

Attachments

• fines  filter (1).jpg
    fines filter (1).jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 770
  • fines  filter.jpg
    fines filter.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 693
  • fines  filter (2).jpg
    fines filter (2).jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 737

Ask a Question