Floating plant baskets and rings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi all... long time no type!! I saw something online where someone took a trash can and basically sprayed great stuff foam around the top of it (instead of wrapping a pool noodle or two around the top) to make it float... is that foam even safe to be in the pond???

Anyways I had an idea similar to what I mentioned above for some of my plants... the hard part is finding the right sized container. I do have a few shallow rectangular "tubs" about 6 to 8 inches high... id like to turn it into a floating water lily or lotus pan to keep my fish away. I made 2 floating baskets last year to keep duckweed and water hyacinth contained and away from koi. They worked but looked bad since I used empty 20 oz bottles zip tied to keep it afloat. Looked like trash in my pond.

Ive had both lotus and water lily in the past. My koi eat them and dig at them. Id like to make a floating container (tethered to one spot) to hold some soil for the lotus and lily... seems like a great idea but not sure if it will come out as I picture it.

Has anyone attempted to grow lillies or lotus this way in a floating container? I know it may take up some room but if I can keep koi from destroying these plants I will be happy. I still want a separate lotus pond but cannot do that until next year so this is why I ask!

Thanks!!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I used the great stuff foam around my pond to hold the rocks in place a couple years back, and my fish seem fine. I think it is the same stuff of the black pond stuff but yellow. There was no warnings on the can other than the pressure warning. It drys and turns into a floating thing as soon as it hits the water, so it does not mix in the water. I am willing to bet it is exactly the same as the pond waterfall sealer. I have used both, the the great stuff big gab filler is a fraction of the cost of the actual pond stuff.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
here is some pictures of the pond edges, I hid the landscaping ties that go around the built up outside edges of pond with that that Great Stuff, Big Gap filler. I have the rocks all glued into place and then I stuck moss in the cracks. You can see the built up edge next to the cobbled walk.
IMAG3536.jpg
IMAG3536.jpg
IMAG3536.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used the great stuff also it is harmless .i have used the foam in the can from lowes for years now and have not lost a fish .I grew lilies in one of those foam wreath things that you buy at hobby stores .I just cut an old pot to fit inside it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Callingcolleen1 --- wow! So amazing and beautiful! I love what you did!

sissy--- good to know! I will give it a whirl!

Come to think of it, I think I will buy a few extra cans of great stuff to help hold my slate down around the pond too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
make sure it is dry and clean or the slate will not stick and if it expands to much it will lift the slate .I would use the adhesive for retaining wall block first .There are 2 kinds of gap stuff in a can .I buy the big gap kind it expands more .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Use a good pair of gloves, try not to get any on hands cause it really sticks. I never washed the rocks or anything, and it stuck very very good. I did use the one thst expands the most, and shoot foam into gaps of rocks and cut the excess off or push it in between gaps and stuff spagum dried moss to hide foam, before it drys, so it has a natural look. Have all your rocks in place before you start shooting foam in cracks. I used lots and the rocks are in tight good and I can sit on edges!

I need to touch up the other side of pond and glue rocks down on the area is missed last year. I will do a video so people can see how it works....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They sale some hand wipes at home depot and lowes that removes the stuff from your hands very nicely. Sold right near the gap stuff. Or mineral spirits works great

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I made a test one and its floating in my pond right now. I used tons of foam... maybe too much. Looks like a big donut floating but my lily is protected! I used stuff I already had... backer rod covered in foam (shaped in a circle). I covered it in underlayment I had and made a "pouch" out of it as well to hold the lily and substrate. So far so good but ill need a big opening like a hula hoop for when it takes off.

Basically I am trying to do this the cheapest way and with items I have (tons of underlayment downstairs to make fabric pots, etc)... I have mesh laundry bags too... id like to go to home depot and buy tubing and wrap a pool noodle over it but I cant find any noodles. I know I have seen tons of them but no one has them out yet. Online costs a lot due to it coming in packs of 10 or 20.

Maybe today I can find what I need? I have 2 lotus and 2 lilies on order but no idea when they ship (from pond megastore . Com).

Thanks again for the replies! Im going to be covered in foam lol!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Ok I found pool noodles!!! I got some laundry baskets... made some holes around the top to zip tie pool noodles (cut the noodle to fit over edge of the lip of the basket)... inserted underlayment to cover holes in laundry basket (sewn into place) and it will also keep roots in... got some kitty litter and top soil... My concern now is for my lily pads-- will there be enough room for the lily pads to float on the surface of water or will they just butt up against the pool noodle? I know it should be wider at the top but not sure how to do this.

My existing lilies are on my plant shelves with plastic chicken wire fence around it which goes up as high as the water line. Problem with that is, its kind of ugly... if the water goes down then u see the chicken wire... if the water is high the fish can get into the top (my goshiki got in one and I had to lift him out cause he couldnt figure out how to get out of it). This is why I turned to floating baskets. Id like to get away from using my plant shelves because the plants get knocked off or I cant get the pots straight and level.

Id like to make floating baskets for every plant cause my koi chew the leaves and the roots (I do feed my fish so not sure why they destroy my plants so much).

Sorry for the rant but does anyone know what im talking about with the lily pads bunching up within the basket at the top where the pool noodle is? If it wont hurt the lily or limit flowering then I will leave it because I did a nice NEAT job on the basket. Ill try for a pic (on my tablet now)....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I made floating rings for some of my lilies just to have lilies in the deep end of the pond. One of my rings was too high in the water, the lily pads did bunch up. got covered with aphids, but flowers still came up.

Ask a Question