floating planter rings

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
DIY floating planter rings...just over $20.00 will make 6 2' diameter rings
you need a roll of deer fencing 36"x15'...........$11.00 @ Lowes
a roll of 1/2" irrigation tubing about $8.00 @ Lowes
some 4" zip ties..........cut your ring to size....make 3or4 1" slices in one end of tubing, the sliced end goes inside the other end.. put it in as far as you can the heat the outside tube with a lighter, heat gun,or torch lightly then immediately push the other end in further. when it cools it will shrink around the inside tube and seal it.

Attachments

• SANY0761.JPG
    SANY0761.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 2,693
  • SANY0762.JPG
    SANY0762.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,624
  • SANY0763.JPG
    SANY0763.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,700

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
then neatly cut a 4" strip off the roll of deer fence long enough to wrap around the ring you made. and also cut a round peice the same size as your ring or slightly bigger.take the strip and ziptie it to the ring snug but not too tight (leaving the factory edge to the bottom so theres the thicker edge to fasten the bottom too) . then zip tie the round bottom peice to the strip trimming and ziptieing as you go, leave everything snug but movable for adjusting. just trim and tie evenly..... the last pic was just before the last few ties were put on. easy to figure out...good and sturdy and about $3.50-$4.00 a ring.

Attachments

• SANY0764.JPG
    SANY0764.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,459
  • SANY0766.JPG
    SANY0766.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,643
  • SANY0768.JPG
    SANY0768.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,851

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Good tips Koiguy
I never could get it to grow...salt i guess
Now they want to lock you up here for growing it

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Another great idea! Good thinking Koiguy!
That same tubing can also be used for your bio filter.
I made mine by taking a nursery flat and surrounding it with 3/4" PVC, I added Hyysop, Parrotts Feather and Duckweed by weaving it into the mesh of the flat. You need a fine mesh flat to do this. It has been in there for 1 1/2 years and is so successfull, I have to remove plants to make room for the growth.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
floating plants only.. they are to protect the plants (roots mostly) from being devoured by your fish. hiacynths, lettuce, parrots feather etc...

Reaction score
pebcpa said:
I could probably tie them up to keep them from blocking the skimmer. Cool.

You have an opposing option for not getting food in the skimmer, which is simply create the ring and throw it in the pond (without plants in it). When you feed your fish, you throw the food into the middle of the empty ring so that the fish feed from there. The food stays right in the ring and never gets into the skimmer and the fish are more tan happy to eat the food that is within the ring.

I use the same ring and have all my plants in it, but mine is just the ring and has no mesh on the bottom. My koi really don't do damage to my plants, so it's not a problem for me.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
actually the first one i made was originally a feeding ring but in the frenzy of eating they would bounce the ring around in the water and the food woukd end up floating around the pond anyways so i declded to have healthy uneaten floating plants...it was getting where my hiacynths could not keep up with the fish tearing them up so necessity came into play.....it started with just root nibbling then the bulbous parts of the stems were getting eaten, i was skimming many chunks out every day!!

Ask a Question