floating planter rings

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by koiguy1969, Aug 4, 2009.

1. koiguy1969

mrsclem mrsclem

I use the plastic hardware cloth over my water lily pots. They are planted in square 12" pots with the plastic mesh over the top. It keeps the koi from uprooting them, however, depending on the size of your koi, they can still grab leaves and destroy plants. I have several baskets that are floating because the koi have dumped the rocks out of the baskets.

mrsclem, Jul 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. koiguy1969

dieselplower

I put my hyacinth and lettuce in the buckets that come from Lowes of Home Depot that plants come in. Many float, but not all. They have some holes in them already and you can poke more in them easily for good flow. Also, free...

dieselplower, Jul 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. koiguy1969

jmajid

koiguy1969: thanks for the original post - tried these out this weekend - worked out real well...
    using one to train the fish to eat food from - seems to be working so far...
    now to find floater plants!

jmajid, Jan 20, 2014
  4. koiguy1969

lizzy

you could also use a hula hup that they sell at dollar stores but they only sell them early summer course Walmart carries them also then just add netting you can buy gargen netting real cheap but I don't think it will last more then one season before giving way Im always looking for cheap seems like im spend a lot money on my pond

lizzy, Sep 5, 2015
  5. koiguy1969

lizzy

I did that actuallt have 2 hula hoos I feed the goldfish in one and the koi in the other course not much keeps milly the koi to snag the goldfishs food also since she is qute big and they scurry as she approaches they have learned to eat very fast

lizzy, Sep 5, 2015
  6. koiguy1969

ND pond

I have two of those rings in my pond. Works well. You can see them in the picture as water lettuce and hycinths are proliferating well in them!

ND pond, Oct 25, 2016
  7. koiguy1969

Panzer13

This is a great idea! I think I may build something like a floating corral my floating plants. I don't care if the goldfish munch on them. But it would be nice if I could keep them from blocking light to my underwater plants.

Panzer13, Apr 17, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question