j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Only kind they sell in stores here are little tiny floating pot ones at Lowes and they aren't worth it to me. I made my own too but used the fiberglass screen stuff to put under the bottom and next time I would use the bigger holed netting to allow water to flow in better. The thing got clogged up too much and was rather stagnant looking. Baby fish like it tho that just hatched cuz they could fit through the holes and nobody else could!

Reaction score
I found square ones 12"x12" at Home Depot and Rural King. They are a thin pot, but then they have a diamond weave for the walls and bottom instead of just solid plastic. They actually float without any modification, but since I've put them in my pond I've found they are super close to neutrally bouyant so if they get ito the waterfall the current sends the basket to the bottom of the pond and it takes about 5 minutes to come back up and by then the plant is on the other side of the pond. I'm putting some black waterfall foam under the top lip though right now, that should totally take care of that problem.

They also have these same 12" baskets at Mennards in the next town over but they also have 12" round ones. And I found some really huge kidney bean shaped ones online for $6. I bought 6 of them, I'm thinking these will be the main ones I use since the baskets have curves they should nest right into the curves of my pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just take some fishing line and tie them to a rock or something so they can't float all over near the falls especially.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
IMO ... 12" squares are way too small for hyacinths or lettuce....the idea is protect the roots so they can multiply... in a small preformed pond, ok. but i like a larger ring. my small ones were 28" across...my ring is 4&1/2' across...ity would take about a dozen or so of those to hold what my one large ring holds.

Reaction score
Ahh, ok, well that explains it then 4' versus 12" is a whole different ball game. I have 1 hyacinth in each one, there is tons of room for them to multiply, but you'll have to stay on top of seperating them, it will get crowded quick.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They do like to be crowded, but not so tight they have no room, I used to rope mine with a floating rope, made it bigger as they grew.

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with predators since they made one? Just wondering if a predator could step on it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Both herons, that have visited, stayed on the edge of the pond to fish. They tend to walk up to the pond in a very sneaky manner.

Reaction score
20120617_093813-1.jpg
20120617_093804-1.jpg
20120617_093745-1.jpg
20120617_093738.jpg

The fry like them too .My fish did the spawn and with and with the 4 10 foot rings I made they will have some place to hide .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a couple pics showing the pond, the hyacinths in the 4&1/2' ring, and a close up of a couple of hyacinth blooms...to bad they dont last longer. they are such a pretty bloom....have to pull out one of the 28" rings soon.
jw....potted the lillies their in the fry pond!
SANY1841.jpg

SANY1842.jpg

SANY1847.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I seen them growing in there koiguy in the pool w/ the babies. Boy those Hyacinth have pretty blooms..........too bad they don't like it here and bet they smell good too!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey koiguy you gotta stop and smell the roses every now and then...............errrr, why not the Hyacinth also :rolleyes:

Reaction score
20120617_145022.jpg

Here are my four rings with Hyacinth in bloom and a lotus in bloom on the side thanks Koi Guy for saving my plants from the hungry KOI.My pond is in much better balance since the rings allow me to have floating plants to add shade

Ask a Question