floating plants from brackish water

jezabell79

New but not...
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I decided to get a liner & not screw with the jets on the hot tub/pond conversion.....but how do i make sure plants i got from brackish water are safe to put into my pond? (roots/salinity wise)

they are floating plants..

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you worried about safe for the plants of safe for your water? If the plants came from nature I would be concerned about transferring pathogens or parasites but I don't think FW would hurt them long term.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
After re-reading the title of this thread, I retract my previous comment. There are no TRUE brackish water floating plants, only those freshwater species that tolerate some level of salinity.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mangroves comes to mind, otherwise I'm interested to hear which other plants prefer brackish water.
Except for mangroves not being a floating plant.
To op,hyacinths will do fine in FW but do better in water in aged water that has some nutrients rather then new clean water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Mangroves are not floating by design, but I've seen many set ups that use a piece of styrofoam to suspend mangrove pods.
I know that's not your point, but I can't think of many other "brackish" plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Any sort of fish parasite or disease can drop out of plants from native sources.

Several bouts of sterilising the plants should eliminate the bad guys and those egg capsules that take weeks to hatch

Probably.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Many plants do ok between brack and fw
Any sort of fish parasite or disease can drop out of plants from native sources.

Several bouts of sterilising the plants should eliminate the bad guys and those egg capsules that take weeks to hatch

Probably.
But with hyacinths selling for a few bucks a piece ,why bother

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I decided to get a liner & not screw with the jets on the hot tub/pond conversion.....but how do i make sure plants i got from brackish water are safe to put into my pond? (roots/salinity wise)

they are floating plants..
Most brackish plants and even many brackish animals can easily adapt to freshwater but you will have to get specific info on the exact species or type of plant as some may need acclimation periods or may only be able to transfer during a particular season.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
PS: Not to get off subject but, If you or anyone else wan't some floating hyacinths send an 18 wheeler to my house and you can have the lot of them lol because my problem this year has been over population. I only bought 4 at the start and have been pulling about 10 to 20 new plants out a week because they were nearly carpeting every inch of the surface :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always liked hyacinths, problem is my koi like them even more. I can't keep them.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I always liked hyacinths, problem is my koi like them even more. I can't keep them.
Thankfully winter has started to help curb their growth and I suspect with one more frost they will be 86. But, you never know cause they are survivors because I had a few that floated into the flood plane and were out of water for about 3 days and once I tossed them into the turtles pond they survived and multiplied :confused:

Ask a Question