Floating plants?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, was looking at buying hyacinth as an addition to my pond but turns out it's going to be banned in the U.K. From august I think, meaning I will need an alternative. Could anyone recommend something similar or any other floating plants that I can get in the Uk.

Thanks for your time.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would imagine that if Water Hyacinth is banned, so will Water Lettuce. There are non other floating plants that are effective at nutrient removal as these two aforementioned.
There are other floating plants such as snowflake, ludwegia, parrotsfeather and sensitive plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I would imagine that if Water Hyacinth is banned, so will Water Lettuce. There are non other floating plants that are effective at nutrient removal as these two aforementioned.
There are other floating plants such as snowflake, ludwegia, parrotsfeather and sensitive plant.

That was the main reason I wanted them, want something that's an efficient nutrient remover.

Reaction score
I guess those plants can survive if chunks of them are free floating around in the water, but I never thought of them as "floating" plants since they generally have anchor roots.
My suggestion would be Azolla if you are looking for a true floating plant.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I guess those plants can survive if chunks of them are free floating around in the water, but I never thought of them as "floating" plants since they generally have anchor roots.
My suggestion would be Azolla if you are looking for a true floating plant.

Used these for years without anchoring the roots without any issues.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That was the main reason I wanted them, want something that's an efficient nutrient remover.

All aquatic plants remove nutrients, although some are more efficient than others. Since water hyacinth and possibly water lettuce are not an option, the next most efficient would be some of the marginal (emergent) plants such as reeds or cattails.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
All aquatic plants remove nutrients, although some are more efficient than others. Since water hyacinth and possibly water lettuce are not an option, the next most efficient would be some of the marginal (emergent) plants such as reeds or cattails.
Was looking at creating a floating island as such if any floating plants was not an option and doing it that way so may look into marginal plants instead.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Floating islands are easy you can make one or buy one already made .Styrofoam works great for a floating one and even a styrofoam wreath can be made into and island .Lots of plans on here and youtube

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would check around because typically munipalities may ban them but not entire countries. In Chicago both wh and wl are banned but a short trip away to the suburbs both are available.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I would check around because typically munipalities may ban them but not entire countries. In Chicago both wh and wl are banned but a short trip away to the suburbs both are available.
I think it's a European ban rather than locally which is a shame.

Ask a Question