Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
View attachment 95701 View attachment 95702
Yes, I agree the filter I am using is a different animal. I really don't want to put the filto falls back in BUT I am trying to create a "bog" filter at the top of the waterfall. It will have about the same bio surface area as the filto falls. I wanted to use pea gravel. Would it be better to put some other medium under the rock. Looks like crap right now but with landscaping I think I could hide it better than the filto falls.

I had to add back my inpond skimmer. Years ago I had a trickle filter and I am wondering about attaching the outlet of the skimmer to one again.

Nitrate is missing from these results. What is the current level?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The algae is surface coating algae which does not have a very good grip on smooth pond liner surfaces

When it photosynthesises at dawn, oxygen bubbles form among it and wheeee it is buoyant and goes living a life ahoy on no ocean wave (floats)

If it bothers you blast it with a mist spray to bust the bubbles among it

Reaction score
Country
United States
The algae is surface coating algae which does not have a very good grip on smooth pond liner surfaces

When it photosynthesises at dawn, oxygen bubbles form among it and wheeee it is buoyant and goes living a life ahoy on no ocean wave (floats)

If it bothers you blast it with a mist spray to bust the bubbles among it
Yes I have done that but you have to do it every hour..

Reaction score
Country
United States
I could not find the pool product you guys were discussing at Walmart to raise hardness. I am adding baking soda to try and raise KH. I have some oyster shell but I know that will be very slow.

My source water ph is normally highish (8.5 - 9) and soft also. Have not needed to add water lately.

I know I need more water lily coverage and I am trying to find some hyacinths.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Best thing I have found is grasses and colleen told me how well they work and the do .I bought strawberries and cream grass .Some even call it ribbon grass here .I do have to trim the roots once a month and divide them often .They have a very thin strip of light pink down the middle
100_7043.JPG

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Secure a Nitrate test kit. Nitrate (and Phosphorus) are the tow (2) nutrients that will influence algae growth. If the levels of either or both are elevated you will have some form or algae issue. Finding and eliminating the source of these excess nutrients is the only permanent solution.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But in that you do kill off the only protection your fish have from being harmed from other spikes in the pond .Ponds are only crystal clear for us not the health of the fish .I meet people all the time who want clean rocks and clean water and then wonder why the fish seem to be in poor health .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I understand my pond is not a water fountain and wont be crystal clear. But when it was covered in putrescent green scum all last summer, thats not okay.

I had not added any new rocks, decoration etc to the pond. There is no runoff water. My fittings are the same as years before. Waterfall rock the same. I scientifically understand what you guys are saying but other than drastically reducing my lily coverage, nothing is different !
I will look for a nitrite test.

Reaction score
Country
United States
P.s. Last summer when all else failed. I drained the pond by 1/2 and refilled with fresh water. Still did not help

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You keep saying everything is the same. Did your fish get bigger? Did they have babies? That would increase the nutrients in your pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree things do change but honestly between the heron and snakes. I don't ever have a lot of fish. I think they stay rather constant.

I raised my KH to 200. And the ph didn't fluctuate as much today between morning and evening but it still too high.

I do have a phosphate test and it is ok.

Ask a Question