MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The pond I will be setting up is a 425 gallon raised pond with a submersible Lifegard Aquatics All in One Triple Pond Filter System with a 2-Stage High Capacity Mechanical Filtration, a Biological Filter, and a 13 Watt Ultraviolet Sterilizer. It is rated for ponds up to 2000 gallons and circulates the water at a rate of 991 gph (according to the company).

However, from reading about pond care, it seems I should also be using a skimmer. Is this correct?

If so, it seems I will be limited to a floating skimmer, and there is not a huge selection available. The ones I have found are:

-Oase SwimSkim Surface Skimmer
  • Water circulation Rate: 800 GPH
  • Air injection: 80 GPH (0.17 CFM)
-Koolatron Floating Pond Skimmer
  • 500 gph energy efficient pump
-CNZ Floating Pond Skimmer
  • 1100 GPH pump
-CNZ Floating Pond Skimmer
  • 660 GPH pump
Do you use a floating skimmer? If so, which one? Do you find it effective and necessary?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In my experience, floating skimmers are entirely too small to provide any meaningful mechanical filtration especially if any sizeable debris (leaves) is to be encountered. Much easier and cheaper to remove any debris manually by netting.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am not thinking so much about leaves and such, especially since my pond will be set up pretty far from any surrounding trees. I am thinking more along the lines of pollen and dust which I have read can make the water look dull, or is this something a floating skimmer will not remove and/or I should not be worried about?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Most filters will take care of most of that stuff but a uv may help to keep water clear if you will have lots of sun on the pond .I don't have a skimmer and pollen is heavy here but 2 filters with quilt batting in a crate gets rid of the pollen faster

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks, sissy. My filter has a uv. I am also planning to build a lattice work screen on the southern side of the pond so the midday sun will not be as strong on the pond. I'll look into that quilt batting.

Ask a Question