floating skimmers

Reaction score
I'm considering the purchase of a floating skimmer and would like comments from anyone who has one or has used one. I do not have a skimmer of any type, other than the net I use to manually skim the pond several times a day. Since I'm retired, this isn't a big bother, but I am often gone on weekends and other two-or three-day trips when I am not able to skim the pond. I have a large white pine tree next to the pond which is responsible for most of the debris. I'm considering the following skimmer: http://www.amazon.com/OASE-50040-SwimSkim/dp/B004NJFBJO/ref=pd_sbs_lg_4

Thanks for your help!

Paul

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Those are essentially what is called a "no-niche" skimmer, that is a retro-fit skimmer out there in the water rather than in a wall.

Yeah, I think they're quite interesting. I would imagine there are some disadvantages, but I do not know nor can not think of any.

Here is a thread where a fella is using it, enjoys it, and recommends it. a solution for smaller pond skimmer w/video. This fella mentions the skimmer will initially have a hard time staying sunk in the water, that is it will keep popping out of the water, due to air bubbles, but this should work it self out.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have an OASE SWIMSKIM, and like it, though it does have its issues. It not only skims, but introduces air via jets in the bottom.
PRO's = powerful water movement for such a small unit / easy to clean & empty / has loops on the bottom so you can "anchor" it / the sponge filter that fits under the basket collects a lot of muck (a good thing) / quiet / adds aeration / you can locate it wherever you want (within reason -- see "depth" comment below)

CON's = low volume container, so you may have to empty it daily depending on what's in your water / will occasionally pop out of the water and will run "dry" -- have yet to figure out WHY it does this.... / a fish will occasionally end up trapped inside / you need a depth of at least (not sure...) 14" since it has to have clearance underneath
Before this one I had a KOOL-something or other (KOOLSCAPE ?). It was nothing but trouble. It was always popping up (WAY, WAY, WAY more than the OASE). There was some issue with weighting, and it was like you could never get a balance: it was either too heavy (if you added weights or rocks), or too light so it pops up! I got totally frustrated with it.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Very interesting indeed. I would like to add a skimmer, but in general, skimmers make me angered lol :)
We had a pool with a floating skimmer, and that thing gave me nothing but headaches! But the OASE one looks like it might work well.

Reaction score
Thanks to those of you who responded to my post. After going to the link Charles gave me, I decided to purchase the Jebao Skimmer SK-30. It's less expensive than the OASE, and the fact that it produces less water movement might be a good thing since I don't want a pump stirring up the debris on the bottom of my pond. I will post my thoughts on this skimmer once I get it and use it for a week or so.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
hahnstead said:
Thanks to those of you who responded to my post. After going to the link Charles gave me, I decided to purchase the Jebao Skimmer SK-30. It's less expensive than the OASE, and the fact that it produces less water movement might be a good thing since I don't want a pump stirring up the debris on the bottom of my pond. I will post my thoughts on this skimmer once I get it and use it for a week or so.
That is the exact same skimmer as the KOOLSCAPES one I had -- it was advertised on AMAZON as "KOOLSCAPES," but the packaging said "Jebao" or whatever. It was a little less expensive, but the trade-off was in the "frustration factor." Be prepared to add small weights or stones to weight it down, if that option works as others (reviews) said.

Oh, and I just remembered this. I hope this makes sense. When I started having trouble with the KS one popping up so much, I decided to study it, to find out WHY it did that. I don't recall what it was that lead me to try it, but I ended up doing this, and it did help for a while. When you look at the skimmer, there is a floating plastic "sleeve" (for want of a better word) that fits over the basket. On the top edge of the sleeve, there are 3 or 4 small holes. I took the "sleeve," used it as a stencil, and cut a ring (think "gasket") that would fit up inside that sleeve, lifting it EVER SO SLIGHTLY above the basket. Think I used a sheet of regular craft foam, but did have to experiment with thicknesses. I marked where those 3 or 4 holes were, and used a hole punch to recreate the location on the ring. Then slipped the ring up inside, matching the holes as best as I could. Sounds like a lot of extra work, but was really simple once I figured it out. However, it was only a temporary fix.

Personally, I like that the OASE moves the water around. It's not really that noticeable, but I like to think it helps keep a current going and the water moving, improving oxygenation, etc. I don't like the idea of dead spaces.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
After you get it and have it running for a while, please post again and give us an update. The "Jebao" brand skimmer, I bought about a year and a half ago (was my first purchase). It's very possible that they've made changes/improvements based on customer feedback.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got one a couple of years ago. Used it for 2 weeks and gave up. Would not stay at the proper level so now have the ones that hang on the pond edge.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
mrsclem said:
I got one a couple of years ago. Used it for 2 weeks and gave up. Would not stay at the proper level so now have the ones that hang on the pond edge.
I haven't seen a hanging one. What kind is it, and how are you liking it?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Square skimmer box with pump fastened to it up to 1100gph. it just hangs on the side of the pond with a strap. So far they have worked well for me. Fall will be the real test.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
mrsclem said:
Square skimmer box with pump fastened to it up to 1100gph. it just hangs on the side of the pond with a strap. So far they have worked well for me. Fall will be the real test.
Do you recall the brand?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
TM- they are the Pondmaster mini skimmers. Actually handle up to 1800gph. The pump attaches to the outside of the box. So far they have done well for removing the flowers from the cherry tree over the ponds.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
mrsclem said:
TM- they are the Pondmaster mini skimmers. Actually handle up to 1800gph. The pump attaches to the outside of the box. So far they have done well for removing the flowers from the cherry tree over the ponds.
Thanks! I'll look into that! Does it handle fluctuations in the water level?

Oh, I found the info sheet for it:
http://www.dannermfg.com/Store/images/instructions/ZG090.pdf

Reaction score
Well, I've had my skimmer for a couple of weeks now, and the results are mixed. I did have problems with it floating above the water several times at first, but I solved that by attaching a weight to it. The skimmer would be more useful for a smaller pond; mine is 16' by 24'. It tends to draw my floating plants to it, but I like the fact that it helps with water movement.

Attachments

• skimmer 1.jpg
    skimmer 1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 524
  • skimmer 2.jpg
    skimmer 2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 517

Ask a Question