Floating tubes in my pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking for answers on what these tube in my pond. I'm assuming its poop..but it looks giant and not normal. I have good size Fantail Goldfish in the pond. Any one have any advice? I just want to make sure its not a parasite or something I need to salt or medicate.

Thank you!

Resized_20211207_100612_774.jpeg
Resized_20211207_100600_818.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looking for answers on what these tube in my pond. I'm assuming its poop..but it looks giant and not normal. I have good size Fantail Goldfish in the pond. Any one have any advice? I just want to make sure its not a parasite or something I need to salt or medicate.

Thank you!

View attachment 144987View attachment 144988
not sure we've filled the position of 'Poop Education' coordinator, yet; @addy1 ? Any of those last applicants make it? Or are we crap outta luck???:p

My uneducated opinion is Maybe; they don't usually float. How many ya gots? A couple, I'd not worry but many? Then for sure some sort of bug casing.

stm.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I assumed it was poop I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue or parasite causing a problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Id see a few every once in a while but, now seems like there is more and they're not dissolving... they float some sink. Should I put in some pond salt get rid of anything that may be hanging around?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not a fan of salt in ponds (nor are any plants) as once in, the only way to get rid of 'some' of the salt is by water changing (another thing I'm not a fan of as a 'routine' maintenance method). Do you ever see any insects that are predators to any of your pondlife? Many types of casings are just a normal occurrence and no harm. I'd watch and look at the pond bottom for anything dangerous. If you DO have insects, you should see them. And they could still be poops but I've never seen fish poops by my fish on the surface. Might be TMI, but you could scoop some out (with the pond water), put them in an aquarium and watch to see if anything happens. Would at least give you peace of mind if nothing developes.

stm.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
No I appreciate it. I will do some "hands on work" and see if anything...shakes out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No I appreciate it. I will do some "hands on work" and see if anything...shakes out
heh, I 'like' that response; may have to see about getting you a paid position (currently, pay is $0+) at GPF. Oh, @addy1; here's an applicant in trainin' fer ya! :D:D:D

st.gif
sto.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would not think it is poop, all of my fishies poo sinks to the bottom and is dark brown tiny strings. That looks like casings for something else. On land I would say the mud casings of some wasps that hang around, but that would melt upon hitting water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Seems poop to me, my astronotus made some "big" like that when i fed heavily...but to be a goldfishes poop is just BIG :O

rofl

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
fine; we'll designate them poop-bugs, just to cover all our bases...

smt1.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
could as be a tube from a stem of a plants and is decaying . but looks a lot like fecal trails but i have never seen them float

Ask a Question