Floundering Water Hyacinths

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi. I am new to ponding, and this is my first season. I bought 4 water hyacinths early in the year (May). They did beautifully for months. They were big and green. They multiplied like crazy (I now have a dozen or more!) and were looking to start covering my massive pond nicely at that rate. But the last couple of weeks they have started to flounder. The ones I see now are all small, none are reproducing, at least half of each plant is brown and dying. One did just flower, but they look so sad and brown. They're obviously not doing well anymore. But I'm not sure why. Is it normal for them to slow down or start dying off this time of year? Or should they be flourishing well into the fall?

I should add that my cat tails (planted in June) are also partly yellowing and not seeming to thrive. It makes me wonder if it's something in the water? The lilies are doing fine. They do get yellow leaves that I cut off, but they always produce more and are flowering, so I'm not worried about them. I've tried pruning the dead hyacinth leaves and bulbs. It doesn't seem to help, and maybe hurts because then they tip sideways and are submersed on one side.

The fish are also thriving. And they don't seem to be eating the roots. (2 koi 6 " and 11 goldfish 3-4")

Just tested water levels for the first time, and pH is high (9) while everything else looks zero to .25 (colors are hard to decypher).

(Other info: Pond is 3500 gallons, Full sun during 10am-7pm hrs. Has a filter, aerator stones, large waterfall. I have had to put in a bit of algaecide now and then and also add de-foamer when the water gets really bubbly. Bacteria are added monthly.)

Anyone have any thoughts on what my hyacinths need to grow big and green again?

hyacinth.jpg

hyacinths(2).jpg

Attachments

• hyacinths.jpg
    hyacinths.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 297

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
take them out and put them in a tote with miracle grow and water .I have a lily pond I put them in with miracle grow

Attachments

• pond second lily flower 7-31-15 009.JPG
    pond second lily flower 7-31-15 009.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 392

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My water hyacinth looked like yours the past two years. The first year they were like yours, did good, multiplied and then got brown. Last year they hardly lasted a month. I gave up trying this year. Spent the money on perennials. Some people on these forums have a lot of success with them, others struggle. They seem to need very specific conditions to grow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had the best luck with them this year I usually have better luck with water lettuce

Attachments

• pond video's 014.JPG
    pond video's 014.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 388
  • lotus start and banana plants 2015 019.JPG
    lotus start and banana plants 2015 019.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 318
  • swings hammock stand pond 2015 067.JPG
    swings hammock stand pond 2015 067.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 388
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have the same problem. From what I have read they don't like high on levels. My levels are the same as yours.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was having problems this year, as well. One thing I did that may have helped [meaning the plants took off afterward, but not saying this is what did it] -- I "root pruned" them all by cutting off about half of the root length for each plant. It's worth a try.....

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Mine do the same thing but I think it is just the way they grow ? you know the old dies off in order for the next run to survive.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I have the same problem. From what I have read they don't like high on levels. My levels are the same as yours.
I bought 5 this year and now after about 3 months or so I have about 15 in the pond and they turn brown die and then come back bright green again about every 20 days plus the turtles eat alot of the dying ones

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I was having problems this year, as well. One thing I did that may have helped [meaning the plants took off afterward, but not saying this is what did it] -- I "root pruned" them all by cutting off about half of the root length for each plant. It's worth a try.....
Maybe thats why mine come back so often cause the roots are what my turtles love to eat

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mine do the same thing but I think it is just the way they grow ? you know the old dies off in order for the next run to survive.
If @flareyflan is having the same problem I was, then it's beyond the new making way for the old. The plants aren't thriving at all, which means they don't produce new, healthy growth.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
If @flareyflan is having the same problem I was, then it's beyond the new making way for the old. The plants aren't thriving at all, which means they don't produce new, healthy growth.
You know more than I do for sure on this subject.. lol I just let things go and see what happens unless its a critter sick so I am a really bad spokesman for horticulture but at least in my experience that's what happened but I don't think (like you said) mine were in a dire situation.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine in my lily pond with miracle grow and the ones in the waterfall .Hate to say it but i think really like moving water better and the last ones are in the pond .I just gave a whole bunch of them away .People were brave enough to walk all the way up here since driveway is still roped off after seal coat

Attachments

• driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 008.JPG
    driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 008.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 360
  • driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 009.JPG
    driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 009.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 381
  • driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 012.JPG
    driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 012.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 393
  • driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 015.JPG
    driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 015.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 354
  • driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 016.JPG
    driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 016.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 347
  • driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 022.JPG
    driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 022.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 360

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
mine in my lily pond with miracle grow and the ones in the waterfall .Hate to say it but i think really like moving water better and the last ones are in the pond .I just gave a whole bunch of them away .People were brave enough to walk all the way up here since driveway is still roped off after seal coat
Those look good and just for info sake my pond is all moving water. The waves if you will are about 4 inches high and occasionally reach the top of the sides but I have the side angled to deflect the water back into the pond. Maybe thats what keep mine going cause they make full tours of the pond about once ever 20 minutes unless the get hung up on a turtle island or aerator hose.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I really like your turtle statue but how large is that ?

Ask a Question