Flow rate and filters in series vs. parallel

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
My main pump is off now while I'm waiting to get my uniseal by mail. My new moving bed filter will be very simple. It will be a bucket with the inflow coming in at an angle some inches from the surface. The incoming flow of water will cause it to move around in a circle mixing it and it will also create oxygenation since it's splashing in. No need for an air pump. The media will be a bunch of free floating bioballs. Outflow is just a PVC pipe near the bottom. With this setup, I figure I'll get moving media and oxygenation. Mechanical filtration will be from 4 prefilters attached to the submersible pump.

Now that my main pump is off, I'm using my 100g/hour auxiliary pump for my 800g pond. This pump feeds a shower filter with moving media inside it. The water flow in the filter is adequate but the small pump also means it will take at least 8 hours to for all the water to turn over once. How long can I keep this up? Will the ammonia/nitrite levels be building up to danger levels anytime soon?

Second question. I plan to add another filter to this setup once my main pump is running. But I plan to add the new filter downstream to my bucket filter. That means that the water coming into the new filter will have gone through the bucket filter already. I'm doing this because I don't want to install another pump. But does adding this new filter in series make any sense?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
John I think you will be fine with the smaller pump, just keep an eye on it and do consistent partial water changes. A cheap air pump would really help in exchanging gas build up.

Second question.

I am running 2 of my bio filters in line with a 1800 gal pump. My filters are the Savio versatile filters. I have been extremely happy with the setup. You will be adding more area for bio media which can't be a bad thing. I personably would do it.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
My filters are the Savio versatile filters.
Thanks for the reply.
Sexism...
I guess pond manufacturers still think ponds are a man's hobby because when I looked up Savio versatile filters, here are the pics I saw:
f100-modelsm.jpg

and
prod_lg_10365_15ee30f5481dcab6256d33bddc51bc46.jpg

Either that or I'm missing the women that's supposed to come with my filters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Man oh man I've seen it all now :LOL: sex usd to sell filters , there's hope for this hobby yet with these dazzling bell's (y)
John you should have read the small print mate , it read "Free with the first two filters sold" and that my friend is why you didnt get one with yours arf arf :LOL:

Dave ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply.
Sexism...
I guess pond manufacturers still think ponds are a man's hobby because when I looked up Savio versatile filters, here are the pics I saw:
f100-modelsm.jpg

and
prod_lg_10365_15ee30f5481dcab6256d33bddc51bc46.jpg

Either that or I'm missing the women that's supposed to come with my filters.
"Man oh man", I've seen it all now :LOL: sex usd to sell filters , there's hope for this hobby yet with these dazzling bell's (y)
John you should have read the small print mate , it read "Free with the first two filters sold" and that my friend is why you didnt get one with yours arf arf :LOL:

Dave ;)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Man oh man I've seen it all now :LOL: sex usd to sell filters , there's hope for this hobby yet with these dazzling bell's (y)

Dave ;)
Well Dave, it looks like you got your two bonus females when you bought your filters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well Dave, it looks like you got your two bonus females when you bought your filters.

Oh I love it yes it appears I did didnt I

<----------------------------------------------- on the left Lizzy and on my right Val :LOL:

Dave (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
John that is why I have 3 of them :)

Actually the company has been very helpful when dealing with them. They stand behind their products.

I agree their marketing could use some work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Aww John now you are talking fantasy land I hope the mansaab doesnt read your posts or you'll get more than a slapped wrist here my friend afrf arf :LOL:
Next thing you know you'll be living in the shed :eek: and you dont want that do you :(

Dave ;)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
What is the head height for the 100 gph to the top of the filter? It's probably pumping significantly less than that. And yrs I believe adding another filter does make sense.
Head height is 18 inches. The shower filter is compact and sits on a frame about 2 inches over the pond.
My question re. adding the other filter was whether adding it in series made any sense.

Ask a Question