flow rate through skippys

Reaction score
Just wondering what size pump and skippy filter everyone uses.
Trying to figure out what the proper flow rate through my skippy filter should be for the bacteria to properly function.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
depends on the size of your pond and the skippy.. ideally you should cycle your pond atleast once an hour if your filters bigger you can increase the flow. and with a lower fish count you can slow the flow. but once an hour is your starting point....my pond is 1200 gals my filter is 70 gals my pump is 1200 gph

Reaction score
I run mine very slowly. I have a 3000GPH pump and I have a ball valve to direct about 80% through the waterfall. I found that when I was running about half (1500 GPH) it would not "clean" the water properly.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
depends on the size of your pond and the skippy.. ideally you should cycle your pond atleast once an hour if your filters bigger you can increase the flow. and with a lower fish count you can slow the flow. but once an hour is your starting point....my pond is 1200 gals my filter is 70 gals my pump is 1200 gph

Right now I run a 1000gph pump through a 100 gal skippy filter. (pond is only 700 gal atm).

Reason im asking is cause next spring im gonna start building a 6000 gal pond,
I know pond should be turned over at least once an hour but runnin that much water through the skippy I have wont allow the bacteria time to work on the water.

Any suggestions? Im thinkin of adding a skimmer filter also to the new project.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think you need to reconsider the skimmer. These are not maintenance free and often trap then your kill fish. Skimmers are for swimming pools and spas. There are may posts on this subject. We have a few people here that swear by them but they are mostly new to the hobby.:biggrin:

As for the size of you bio filter, it mostly depends on the fish load not the pond size.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I separated my 3 drum filters and run around 750 gph through each one.

Reaction score
I am no against pond skimmers. I think they are right in appropriate situations. If you have no leaves/trees, what exactly do you need one for? I'd add another barrel rather than a skimmer in that case.

My pond is unfortunately located very close to trees as that's where the previous owner put it. A skimmer does come in handy for me. I have one, but I don't use it. Go figure!

Ask a Question