Flower Bed Edging Poll

What is your preferred landscape edging?

• None, neat cut edge separating grass and

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Natural rock or stone such as moss rock

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Metal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wood

• Plastic

• Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like the look of rocks but it is more work as weeds like to grow up between them and moles like to make a mess w/ them also and mowing up close can be a pain if they stick up above ground level. So I think I would prefer the curbed cement type edging that prolly costs a bucket load. My one neighbor had this and it is not high up out of the ground so they can just mow right up to it. No moles or weeds bother it but of course it doesn't look natural. Right now we have the black plastic round stuff. If you put that down low enough you can mow easy around that. If you don't your mower will tear it up. Getting it to looks just right can be a real trip tho.
Never seen this stuff before but looks interesting: http://www.landscapesolutionsmi.com/the-best-landscape-edging-to-install-around-your-flower-beds/
Wow, check this place out: http://www.bordermagic.com/GallaryPage1.htm

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
We are going to use moss rock/stone. Really like the trench look but seems high maintenance. We have/are getting rid of the last pieces of steel edging. Bent a blade edgers shaft once when it hit the metal edging. Saw a lawn (not ours) with the advertised poured concrete edging. Looked like a drunk guy was doing the work. Looked horrible.

I've learned the hard way that the advertised look of many things sometime turn out to be very different from the finished product. LOL

Reaction score
Big Lou you are correct. Those concrete edges are hit or miss. I have one customer whose concrete is beautiful, level, and strong, and anothers whose is as you described... horrible.

Oh by the way, I did not do the work lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have slate with ground cover planted between them. After awhile, the ground cover gets too thick for weeds to grow through.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
CONCLUSION

After having the moss stone edging put in place we discoverd the volume of stone did not complement the overall look and feel of our flower beds and house. Stone being moved to an inconspicuous area. Actually along the backside of the long property line flower bed in the back yard. Now going for a natural border look for all beds, front and back. Will use a Black & Decker Model LE750 to maintain the natural edge. This electric edger/trencher is made for just such ongoing maintaince. Resulting clean subtle borders are much more suiting to homes exterior look. Will post photos in a separate thread once all work is completed.

Ask a Question