Flower Bed Fertilizer

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We used to use MiracleGro on everything - flowers, vegetables, shrubs. It works, it's inexpensive, and easy to find. However, we decided we weren't happy with the Scott's/Monsanto connection, so we stopped using it. Now we focus on building the soil. We amend with horse manure (sourced locally, fully composted), leaf compost, grass clippings (no fertilizer or weed killer on the lawn either), coffee grounds, egg shells, rock dust, worm castings... you get the drift. Bottom up gardening!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The soil used for our beds has numerous natural amendments yet this time around I want to add some extra help. Thanks for your reply.
How about some compost tea? You can use it as a foliar spray or pour around the base of the plant to boost the nutrients in the soil and add good bacteria. The worms love it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
To make compost tea you need a container to hold water (5gallon bucket works well), a cup or two if compost or worm castings (I bundle mine in cheesecloth) and a way to keep the water moving (an air stone in the bucket). 24 hours later you have a "tea" that is full of great stuff for your plants and soil. Spray it on your plants (or pour it around in your garden bed) and watch the magic happen!

Search YouTube for compost tea - you'll find lots of ways people make it.

Ask a Question