Summer: stella doro lilies, coreoposis, butterfly bush
Fall: mums, asters

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love caladiums and planted them for year along with cannas, but in my climate they never come back. I tried one year digging them up, But the following year not many took.
Same happened to me, but I like'em too much to give up on them!
Hubby got me a bag of 30 count mixed colors from Costco, for the price I'd pay for a couple of annuals so I'm going to keep trying to winterize them and if I can't, I will enjoy them as annuals
Cannas are a different story, I have a total addiction, I winterize several kinds and give away hundreds every Spring. I also start some from seed to see if I can come up with a different specimen..like I said, I'm totally addicted! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Violets. Wild ones I have in my yard love the shade. I’m not home to get pics, but we typically get two blooms, spring and fall when things are cooler and moist.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wow, thanks for all the amazing suggestions! I was thinking I would get a few responses, but you all have outdone yourselves. I think I've added some more possibilities to the list based on what I've researched and from suggestions you all provided here including: Hellebores (lenten rose), Bellflower, Violet Rubellia, and/or Geraniums. I'm just worried that some of them might be a little delicate since we can get some pretty strong storms/rain at times.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, thanks for all the amazing suggestions! I was thinking I would get a few responses, but you all have outdone yourselves. I think I've added some more possibilities to the list based on what I've researched and from suggestions you all provided here including: Hellebores (lenten rose), Bellflower, Violet Rubellia, and/or Geraniums. I'm just worried that some of them might be a little delicate since we can get some pretty strong storms/rain at times.
Well, we are the GARDEN Pond Forum!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've recently become interested in hellebores - but man, are they pricey in our area! I have a shade garden that would be a great spot for some, but I'm going to have to hope to find some at the end of the season!

Ask a Question