Fluffy-ish white bump

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an outdoor pond, and I was putting new fish in it earlier today and threw some food in. I saw this one fish on the top of the pond eating food with a lump on it's side.

Here is an image:
vD98y.jpg

About 2-3 weeks back, one of the fish we had, had the swim bladder disease.

I'm not sure if it's something to do with the water, or the food or it is just natural.

First though, I want to see if this fish has to come out of the pond or is it curable?

Thank you in advance.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That really appears to be saprolegnia fungus, A very aggressive fungus that usually attacks in the early spring. The #1 cause of this fungus is over crowding and poor water quality. There are several medications designed to treat this fungus. warm water is a good thing to get the fish in as well. (Between 75-80 degrees) Along with 3-5% salt baths. Be sure and read up on this fungus as there are a few different ways to treat and each one needs to be done as directed. Do not try and scrape it off to remove it, this will not only severely hurt the fish but will also cause the fungus to spread even more. Good luck! I've only been able to save 1 out of about 6 -7 fish I have treated for this. There is a lot of conflicting information available on the net. Make sure you try and find someone that has treated sucsessfully for this and follow their instructions to a "T".

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's something to do with the water, or...
There's a good way to find out...test the water.

I find it better to treat the cause before the disease. Most treatments require excellent water quality, so to me, that's where I start. But I'm just a dude. Here's a vet with info you would normally pay a couple of hundred bucks.

Ask a Question