Fluid dynamics & UV light function

Reaction score
Yes. Plus, when I closed the main line valve I noticed a change in the waterfall output. I didn't find a factor for the head created by the UV light, but it isn't insignificant.

I'm thinking the slower flow through the filter falls may give the bacteria more chance to work as well.

Reaction score
If closing that valve made a clear difference at the falls, you were probably getting very little flow through the clarifier last year. This is good news! Your water will probably be clear this year.

Most systems have more flow than the bacteria actually need, but higher flow doesn't hurt them. Hence, I doubt the change in flow rate will make much difference to your bacteria either way.

Reaction score
No discernible change in water clarity in 30 hrs. I figured it'd be 72 or more, but I'd hoped for at least a little clarity change by now. Checked the bulb--it is working. Added more Microbe Lift just now, so turned off the light for 72 hrs. Trying to be patient, but I'm SICK of the sense of hassle that's beginning to dominate this pond. I mean, where's the joy in it? I'm starting to think of a pondless waterfall or a catfish farm. :yellowbounce:

Reaction score
D&RW said:
Trying to be patient, but I'm SICK of the sense of hassle that's beginning to dominate this pond. I mean, where's the joy in it?
I know exactly how you feel. But I think you'll get results from your UV clarifier now that you have water going through it.

Have you ever tested for phosphates, though? They say that in most ponds, phosphate is the nutrient that limits algae.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Dont give up D&RW when the pond is clear it is great,,,I did put some pics on hidding the drums the other day,,,you need a good filter to clear it up

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the bulb can still lite up but not be strong enough to do the job. they wear out and should ideally be replaced every year if you run them 24/7 thru out the season.

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement you guys. My patience is worn a bit thin these days, I realize that. I'd really like to redo the waterfall and add the twin 55 gallon filtration and I plan to do so this winter. but this pond is starting to seem like a hole where the money goes.

I have a basic test kit and tested last week. But I don't have phosphate, so I may order a more complete kit or just that tester. I used to have aquariums so used to test for it in the past.

I'll check with Aqua on the light, i.e. if there's a way to tell if it's actually working. I bought it late summer and ran it till mid winter. Seems to me it should be good yet at least through this summer. They say 14 months I believe.

Reaction score
D&RW said:
But this pond is starting to seem like a hole where the money goes.
Yes, that's exactly what a pond is. I wouldn't be surprised to see money swimming around in the pond with the fish. Now if we could get it to breed...

Reaction score
Multiple variables so I'm unable to say which has been the most effective--I suspect it's a combination.
However, I am very, very pleased to report the water in the pond is clearing up nicely. I can see the fish on the bottom and that's a first (except for the big ones). I was probably getting very little benefit from the UV light till now.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, advice and support.

Variables:

1) recalculate head & redirect flow to UV light
2) Microbe Lift PL start-up and first weeks dose.
3) OASE Oxy 450 aerator
4) Barley / Peat Extract first dose today.

Reaction score
Great news, D&RW. It's a bit early for the barley or bacteria to have done much, so when everything kicks in, I think you may achieve overkill. :beerchug:

Ask a Question