Flukes??

Vee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone confirm from my microscope pictures these are flukes? I had them before, a few years ago. But this time they don't appear to have the usual shape with a toothed head, just more like a yellow blob. I noticed the fish flashing and found trichodina and also this, the pictures both at the same magnification, but had problems taking pictures. I don't want to treat the tric in case I need to treat for flukes. Thanks
0A4A19E3-7189-4DDB-99A3-7D323873CEC5.jpeg
8DF8ABD3-4C97-4AA2-8735-D4858C5B5C91.jpeg
62EC158C-F27E-4C01-958D-1843E4D5FAEA.jpeg
6A66A6F6-94C4-46EF-A19E-A2DF4D0ACF10.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1623970913229.gif
@Vee
I don't know but I bet someone here will see this and be able to identify them! Hope so anyways.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are these all pics of the same view, or different ones? IOW, if it is a fluke, is it the same one, or different ones? Can you post a video? Was it from a scraping, and what part of the fish is it from?

Vee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, JRS
The chilodonella is possible but I thought is was smaller than the tric, and they are both at same magnification.
Hi, mathis
The pictures are from different parts of the slide, and it was a scraping from behind the gills to halfway down the body. They don’t seem to move either which I thought was strange for a fluke.
unfortunately can’t do a video as I work away and had to leave yesterday. Think I need to get a camera attachment for my microscope as the pictures are taken through the eyepiece . Cheers
I did a dose of NT labs FMG just over a week ago when I only found the tric, but it had been open for about a year and it didn’t seem to wipe them out. Then I found the blobs!!
I have a new bottle of kusuri acriflavine and malachite premix which is supposed to be good for tric, but not sure how effective it would be if I have flukes, anyone tried it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Im hardly a expert but i believe fluke were longer and skinny kinda like your second pick but to me that looks like a trail of eggs . And the first pic i believe is coastia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the top picture is trichodina, not to sure on the others doesnt look like any parasite ive seen, maybe try scraping another fish see if you can find another, ive used medizin p to treat trichodina before with good results, hope this helps,cheers mark

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If alive, flukes will move, expand and contract, and you can usually see internal body parts (“eye spot,” mouth, digestive tract, etc). That looks more like plant material, like a piece of debris, algae….

Ask a Question