Flying fish-1.JPG

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I’ve seen ospreys catch fish big enough they couldn’t fly holding them. Also, have seen a fish bite the osprey, after being caught.

Interesting to watch hunting ospreys in action and the young ones practice their hunting skills.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe he has a large Rainbow trout , DANG BIRDS MAKE FISHING LOOK SO EASY

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I watched the eagles fish in a trout filled man made pond up in Colorado. They are very good at it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A
I watched the eagles fish in a trout filled man made pond up in Colorado. They are very good at it!
Addy you have one of the best places in the WORLD to watch eagles fish right in your own back yard. Route 1 north if I'm not mistaken it's like a half hours ride for you to Conowingo damn around the second week of October to the first real cold when other areas start freezing and he shad start running up the river . the damn becomes a million dollar 1/4 mile with all the camera gear. One year there was over 200 eagles there fishing for shad the next there was never more then fifty from what I saw. but look op Conowingo damn eagle fest. Last year when I went I felt like a giant at 6'-2" 75% of those there were from china.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’ve seen ospreys catch fish big enough they couldn’t fly holding them. Also, have seen a fish bite the osprey, after being caught.

Interesting to watch hunting ospreys in action and the young ones practice their hunting skills.
quite often we have a lot of osprey on the ROW. I have been standing at a laydown yard talking to the crews and had a 18 inch blue fish drop right in front of me. A hard hat wouldn't have done much if it had hit me. It was that close

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy you have one of the best places in the WORLD to watch eagles fish right in your own back yard.
lol this was my other life, other husband now gone, deceased, we had built a log cabin up near Durango Co. At 8000 ft elevation. In a mountain valley.

The eagles would line the river going for the salmon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They have nests made for birds of prey not far from me, it's a project to encourage them back to the area.@GBBUDD Next time I hike that way I will try to get some photos. It's a six mile hike in, very rocky, lots of ticks right now, so it maybe a while before I head for that hike. Osprey fish the inlet, and a mile in there is eagles.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
quite often we have a lot of osprey on the ROW. I have been standing at a laydown yard talking to the crews and had a 18 inch blue fish drop right in front of me. A hard hat wouldn't have done much if it had hit me. It was that close

A bluefish is what I saw bite the osprey when it snagged it. Ospreys make nests on the Chesapeake Bay on pretty much every single channel marker that is available. The juvenile ones are fun to watch this time of year, they practice dive bombing into the water, chase seagulls around, and keep the generations of hatred towards the great blue heron going, since the adult ospreys have left for the year.

Never had them try to drop a fish on me before though. Just sticks from their attempt to make nests on my equipment.

Ask a Question