Foam from the falls of the bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You are getting very little in the way of additional filtration from what is really just a planting area. 'Bogs' for garden ponds, because of the limits to size are always upflow. Surface flow engineered wetlands ('bogs') do provide considerable filtration but one is talking of a footprint in acres.
If you have any substantial plant growth in this planting area, the plants are trapping organic matter that originates in the pond in addition to the dying foliage from the plants, dead insects and any other windblown organic matter. This is slowly decomposing and releasing the organics that will create foam when the water is agitated.

The plants are definitely growing....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Bog pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 243
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Aquatic plants will grow most anywhere in a pond, especially if it has fish.
Are your plants in pots!?
No all are in the gravel if in the bog or sitting in the shelf in the pond, I do have a couple in a pot but those are babies I plan to remove from the pots soon.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is what my plant coverage looks like, in the bog filter. Can't see any gravel.
m.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How many plants did you put in each square foot. I'm trying not to over do it.
Well when I planted it, maybe one plant per two/three feet. This is 6 years later, even with yanking tons every spring and every fall the entire surface gets covered, unless I do a mid summer yank.
The water gets filtered going up through the gravel and filtered again as it works through all of the plants.

It does need a yank job again, but the mint is blooming and it is great for the bees so I am not yanking yet.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's my next project a bog, with lots of plants, the more the merrier, I'm not sure you can over do it.
Actually, yes you can..... If the roots take over too much, there won't be a lot of filtration taking place, plus with all the channeling, you can end up with water wicking out of the bog causing the bog/pond to lose water. Experience speaking!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Ok today I found a piece of one of my fish, I don't even know which one... I'm suspecting the foam is probably from the dead left over fish.

I'm suspecting this guy.... There is a bad odor to the fish part and the water in general.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 181

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok today I found a piece of one of my fish, I don't even know which one... I'm suspecting the foam is probably from the dead left over fish.

I'm suspecting this guy.... There is a bad odor to the fish part and the water in general.
Is that a skunk?

Ask a Question