Foam on pond

Tiv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you have the option I would test the water to see how many nutrients are in it. I would be particularly focused on Nitrate and Phosphate. I am going to guess it is excess organics in the water.
Hi
Water was tested on Sunday before filter clean and partial water change, with Hanna digital water tester and all was good.
We have had a foam issue all winter when the fish were not even being feed.
I’ve asked what could be causing this at 5 different pond centres and none of the experts there could help !
This has happened during the day today, but gush are heavily spawning today so I guess that’s got something to do with it, especially the cloudy water ?

Tiv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Darn, that is certainly a lot of foam!
I would almost guess someone threw soap in there, but I'm sure there is a natural cause.
Let's see the responses we get from the experts.

I would definitely get a liquid reagent test kit and post up the exact results.
I use a Hanna instruments digital tester, a lot more accurate than the liquid test kits , and all results were ok

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1652302287657.gif
and welcome @Tiv

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Foam is a sign of excess protein. whether by spawning. a death too much plant material in the water . or a plant bomb that is accelerating plant mater that's lying in the pond. aN 18 YEAR OLD POND MAY HAVE A LOT OF muck. AND YOUR BOMB IS STIRING IT UP. the problem is 16 in your pond from the looks of it you are under filtered. the water is also murkey from too much waste in the water and it looks like you have some good size fish in there. vacuum the ponds bottom and do a water change. i would also think about boosting the filter and lessening the fish

Tiv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Foam is a sign of excess protein. whether by spawning. a death too much plant material in the water . or a plant bomb that is accelerating plant mater that's lying in the pond. aN 18 YEAR OLD POND MAY HAVE A LOT OF muck. AND YOUR BOMB IS STIRING IT UP. the problem is 16 in your pond from the looks of it you are under filtered. the water is also murkey from too much waste in the water and it looks like you have some good size fish in there. vacuum the ponds bottom and do a water change. i would also think about boosting the filter and lessening the fish
The pond is not overstocked and the filter is big enough, it may look mucky but it is just murky at the moment, it was clear yesterday morning but I think I agree with the reason is due to spawning
Many thanks to all who have given advise

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD Agree,16 koi in 9000 liters, where 9000 liters = a little over 2000 gallons: pretty concentrated koi population, and spawning isn’t going to help that at all. Eighteen years is a long enough time for a previously balanced pond to become unbalanced, but thankfully no fish losses, so OP must be doing something right.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
16 10 year old koi in 2000 gallons is overstocked in my book

Ask a Question