Foam sealant application

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I need to add some foam sealant to the waterfall where I think my leak is coming from. The instructions say that it cures in 12-24 hours, but I'm not clear if I can run the waterfall while it's curing? I can't imagine leaving the waterfall off for 24 hours, I have Koi in the pond. Does anyone have experience with these sealants? Can I just turn on the waterfall after an hour, or do I have to leave it off for 24 hours?
TIA

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Foam is not waterproof. It can divert water, but is not recommended as a remedy for leaks as seepage will occur.
And yes, it needs to cure for that period of time.
If you have a leak in the waterfall area, then water is coming over the liner edge at some point. The liner must be raised at the location of the water loss to effectively correct the issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm sorry, I misspoke. there is a spot at the corner of the waterfall where there is no foam and I think that the water is spilling in behind that. I thought to fill it with the foam so water doesn't get in there. I don't have a leak, just need to plug that. So it sounds like I will have to leave the water off for a day. Does anyone know if the Koi will be alright without the waterfall for a day?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is the waterfall also your biofilter? If so, you need to find a different solution to the water loss problem.
Absence of biofiltration for 12-24 hours could cause water quality issues and adversely affect the health of the fish.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I'm sorry, I misspoke. there is a spot at the corner of the waterfall where there is no foam and I think that the water is spilling in behind that. I thought to fill it with the foam so water doesn't get in there. I don't have a leak, just need to plug that. So it sounds like I will have to leave the water off for a day. Does anyone know if the Koi will be alright without the waterfall for a day?
Is your waterfall also your filter?
If not, can't you disconnect the hose from the waterfall and divert it back straight into the pond while the foam sets up?
I did this for a leak in my waterfall. But I used silicone and a caulking gun.
It still requires 24 hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If it's hot out when you do it, that stuff is usually hard within an hour. And unless you need it really perfect, four hours or so often good enough, in my experience.

This is to keep the water flowing over the rocks instead of under and around, right?

Ask a Question