Foam Sealant Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I definitely have a leak or leaks in my stream. Worse, the water level in the pond dropped significantly last night, so I definitely need to fix it. The stream bed is about 25 feet so there's alot of area to check.

Does anyone know if foam sealant breaks down over time? The installers who rebuilt the streambed 3 years ago did what I thought was a good job sealing it and, for the most part, water loss has been manageable. Now? Not so much.

Should I start looking for something visible to indicate the problem is deteriorating foam? If so, what should I look for? After finding anything should I rip the old foam out before resealing, or can I just apply new foam over it? Any other advice appreciated as well. TIA
waterfalls.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
best way to start is to check for damp areas around the steam to at least get an idea of the general leak location. Obviously this needs to be done at a time that it has not rained.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the expanding foam to direct flow. If I have a leak I use pl roofing goop to stop the water from flowing out. Expanding foam will weep.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I sure hope they didn't use foam to prevent leaking - that's not what it's for. I see liner so I'm assuming you can locate the edge all the way along the stream - check to see if anything has settled. Most "leaks" turn out to be low edges where a rock has sunk lower that the level of the edge or the liner has started wicking water. Check for damp areas as mentioned. Just make sure you can see that liner edge up above the water line on both sides. The chances that a liner covered with rocks has developed a leak are slim to none - unless someone or something stepped on a rock and put a sharp corner through. But very unlikely.

Ask a Question