Foaming In Water

Reaction score
I mentioned on my introduction thread that we experienced a major die off in my pond. I have been strip testing the water, and all levels are within normal except water hardness (I'm on a well so I expect hard water) and alkinlinity, which is off the chart. The water under the falls foams like there is detergent present. All the dead fish are out of the water, and I've screened all the material I can, without draining the pond (4000 gallons). I'll keep strip testing thru the weekend, but what I wonder is could enough green matter blown into the water during the last storm to spike the levels? After a major water change, what should I be adding back to stabilize? Thanks in advance for your input. MD

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Is it possible that someone sabotaged your pond? Detergent will cause foaming, phosphates cause algae bloom.

Reaction score
Foam can be caused by excessive amounts of protein in the water. You can try cutting back on the feedings or use a lower percentage protien fish food.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
dissolved organic compounds in excessive amounts will cause foaming if you do a water change that would help....crushed oyster shells will help with your ph ,once you get it where you want it.

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses. I changed the filter frames, cleaned out the skimmer tubs, and did a 20% water change yesterday, and the foaming has reduced some.

What I did notice was several little worm like things that looked like small leeches. Are these some type of parasite like I've read about? Could this have been the reason the fish died? I knew I had too many in there for the pond size, so I'm sure the waste levels were high. And I hadn't got the bottom dredged out yet this year. I'll feel bad if after all this my delay in cleanout caused the problem....

Any further input would be appreciated. Thanks. MD

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
dissolved organic compounds built up thru the winter can cause foaming until your filter gets caught up with the bio load.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have now done two water changes (about 25% each time). The weather has warmed, along with the water temp. The foam seems to be going away at this point...only some directly under the water falls. I think the untimely death of my fish was caused by some sort of parasite, which developed due to overcrowding, and my system not able the clear all the waste. The storm blowing all the green material into the water, followed by no power for three days, all combined to create this situation. I still feel bad for not paying closer attention. I'll keep working with the water, and not add back any fish until I know things have cleared up.

Ask a Question