foaming pond

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i added microbe-lift gel to my filter box yestaday.. onto new scrubbies left it on to dry as instructions then placed in filter and left that for 2 hours befor running the pump ... this morning i got up to find foam floating on the pond ( looks more like a bubble bath than a pond) my question is was it the gel or somthing else ... and should i do a water change or will it settle down ?

Reaction score
Do you have a test kit to check your water ? Sounds like DOCs dissolved organic compound. If you have a test kit I would test water and I would do a water change.If you do not have a test kit most pet shops will test your water for you.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
havent got a test kit ... but have it ordered so hopefully here soon ... will do water changes for now and hopefully that will put things right thanks as always for your help :icon_smile:

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
right test kits arrived so i managed to test water this evening .. have to admit to never useing one before ... but till pond was made larger last summer never had a problem with the pond

tetra quick test (dip stick)

NO2 - 1
NO3 - 10
GH - 10 d
KH - 6 d
Ph - 6.8

tablet test tube test kit

Ammonia - 0.1

now i dont really have a clue after doing these tests ..if any of that is good or bad any help would be gladly recieved

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear everything is OK! For any future issues, would the use of foam fractioners help with this problem?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its a chemical to reduce foaming...If i get a little in my pond i knock it down with a water hose..
but ,,,i never had the bubble bath .

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Sorry...I meant to say Foam Fractionators..I got this from my pond guy's website:

"Foam fractionators are used to remove dissolved organic materials from our ponds. DOC (dissolved organic compounds) are toxins that are released by all organic organisms which includes anything from our fish to plant materials. All these things contribute to the DOC contents of our ponds. These DOC's use oxygen out of the water thus lowering the oxygen content of the pond. The oxygen levels can be lowered to the point where our fish start to die off. A foam fractionator will lower the concentration of DOC's to a point where they have no effect on the aquatic life in the pond."

Found a link on a DIY:
http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/main-forum/6413-diy-foam-fractionator.html

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i see what you mean now ... it looks easy enough to build i will give it a try .. i had been using the hose like you drcase ...the problem seems to have dissapered for now

Reaction score
Sounds like maybe the dead algae, try scooping out those bubbles. Check the skimmer as well and scoop them out of there?

Ask a Question