Foamy pond--quick fix???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
As I mentioned elsewhere today, one of my koi died at some point over the last 24-36 hours. He swam into the skimmer box at some point either yesterday or overnight and got tangled in the filter net. I got him out this morning before I went to work--the other two koi were fine, pond itself appeared to be fine, so I went to work.

I just got home from work to a foamy MESS on the surface of the pond. I'm assuming it's due to organic matter from the dead fish circulating in the water.

Is there ANY quick fix I can do to help things? I only have tonight to work on this if I need to go buy anything--I am leaving to go out of town tomorrow. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. There is a Menards and a Home Depot nearby if I need supplies... also a pet supply store if they might have anything.

*Great* timing for this to happen, of course...though I suppose it's good that it at least happened while I was still here and not while my friend is supposed to be checking on my house/pond this week while we're gone. :/

foam1.jpg
foam2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Haven't tested the water--I don't have a testing kit here at the house. Would they have something like that at Home Depot/Lowes or a pet store?

I might be able to bail out some of the water from the pond and put in some fresh water later on. Might be tricky as it's now dark outside, but I suppose anything I can do to get some clean water into the system would help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You should be able to get a liquid test kit from a pet store. I doubt Lowes or Home Depot have them although they might in the pond section.

I would at least try and do a water change before you leave (don't forget dechlorinator) and maybe get a test kit when you get back home.

How do you normally do a water change?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I haven't done a major water change yet. I've added water a number of times when the water levels went low over the winter due to evaporation, plus we had a lot of snow melt into the pond as well as things warmed up... so at least some fresher water was getting into the system periodically. The old owners said they never really did a major water change other than adding water if it got low, so I was going on their advice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We get foam every spring - saw it starting yesterday. I think we had a few more leaves in the pond than we normally do over winter. It clears up on it's own.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't done a major water change yet. I've added water a number of times when the water levels went low over the winter due to evaporation, plus we had a lot of snow melt into the pond as well as things warmed up... so at least some fresher water was getting into the system periodically. The old owners said they never really did a major water change other than adding water if it got low, so I was going on their advice.

That's okay, everyone does things different as far as caring for their fish and ponds. Here is some good info on the importance of water changes in a pond as well as how to and why:

http://www.koihealth.info/water-changes.html

http://www.koicrisis.com/waterquality/waterchanges.html#.VRwSXvnF_Pw

Hopefully this info will help you understand the how and why's of caring for your pond as well as for the health of your fish :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I get that foamy stuff too and have forever. I ignore and it leaves.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's okay, everyone does things different as far as caring for their fish and ponds. Here is some good info on the importance of water changes in a pond as well as how to and why:

http://www.koihealth.info/water-changes.html

http://www.koicrisis.com/waterquality/waterchanges.html#.VRwSXvnF_Pw

Hopefully this info will help you understand the how and why's of caring for your pond as well as for the health of your fish :)

Those links are in reference to dedicated Koi ponds which have no plants, no diversity of sub-strates, etc. which adds up to a very limited and unstable eco-system. The natural checks and balances do not exist in any meaningful level. In the case of these systems, supplemental methods MUST be applied to maintain water quality.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan That *may* be the case but with this poster do we know if there are any live plants in the pond? I don't see any in the photos posted?

Also we don't know the size of the pond and the stocking level which would make a difference in water quality. Would it not?

I do believe most people who said they get foam in their ponds states it was due to decaying leaves, etc. The original posted did mention that there was a dead Koi in the pond and wasn't exactly sure how long it was there. Would or could that not affect water quality?

Ask a Question