Fogging yard for mosquitoes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys and gals I want to treat my yard this year with a pesticides to control mosquitoes I will be using a fogger to do this ... unfortunately my pond is in an area where there's a lot of aroborvites and I would keep away from the pond area but I'm afraid using the fogger may cause little droplets to disperse across the yard ... does anyone have any experience with doing this that can give some guidance...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No direct experience, but I tend to err VERY much on the side of caution when it comes to using any sort of pesticide/chemicals anywhere near my pond, so my advice is 'don't do it'. What we do along the forest edge near (within 20 feet or so) the pond is set up a 'perimeter defense' of citronella torches & use those during the summer months if mosquitos become a problem.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I agree! We had a lawn service that was going to come in and treat the yard and spray, etc. When I asked about them treating if we were not home, they said they would. I cancelled the service! With a pond in the yard, think you will find the mosquitos are not as bad. Frogs, dragonflies eat a lot of them.

Reaction score
We have a couple of things we have performed and it seems to work to reduce them a lot, but you do still get "some" but it's much reduced from when i didn't perform anything...
I have a couple of the Dynatraps running, one close to the house and one on the far side of our pond. Our yard is 1/3 acre total. I also treat with a water based spray that i purchase locally and do this myself, keeping well away from the pond. I treat both the grass (and weeds) and the trees. This keeps the mosquito population down but not out as we still have neighbors who don't do their part of keeping their standing water minimized.
We still have the beneficial dragonflies, frogs etc. in our pond and the fish of course and they take care of the pond stuff.
I was concerned with using the Dynatraps and if they would trap good insects - but when you empty the traps you can see those good insects are not in there... we have been using those for almost 3 years now.
Like others have said, I too would stay away from anything that is a fogger... much harder to control that i think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
this is the number 1 reason I enclosed my pond; I just knew I'd never be able to enjoy it in the evening otherwise!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
There is fish safe dunks and pellets you can use in the pond, if there are areas that lack motion. It’s a bacteria that prevents the larva from maturing into blood sucking adults. Can be dispersed into any areas where water stands.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our neighbors, next street over, complain about blood suckers, we get none. I think we have so many birds, frogs, toads, dragon flies, bats, they don't have a chance in our yard. I have not seen any in years!

Reaction score
Unless your neighbors are doing the same thing... it’s a short lived gain for something that has a direct effect on bees and other beneficial insects... regardless of the application timing.
Have you looked at garlic sprays?

Ask a Question