Folding your PVC Under the Top stone

Reaction score
I have been wrestling with my PVC liner for the better part of 3 weeks now, especially in all the 6 corners( why did I pick a rectangle???) filling the pond adjusting wrinkles, emptying the pond, adjusting the wrinkles and filling it back up( good thing I bought that sump pump to make it easier to drain) making sure everthing is good and level. I used pea gravel and leveling sand, underlayment, and everything was where it was supposed to be, I thought. Boy, was I wrong!

Recently, in this week long, now 4-week-long project, as I was putting on the marble, pavers that I got on clearance, from Home Depot for $1.39/paver, I ran into a problem I didn't expect. ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGG! Sorry, for the length of this diatribe, but I had to get this out to people who understand.

OK, picture this. I have everything level in the 3" deep and 6" wide shelf, all along the perimeter of the pond. Everything is level, paver by paver, on the first layer. I used waterfall foam to bond the pavers to the EPDM liner.

I got a diamond cutter blade that would fit on our rotary saw, and I am out there cutting marble pavers, for each layer, having no idea how to do it. I figured it out(you have to cut in layers on the paver, I used another paver as a base to cut on for stability, forget trying to follow the guide on the saw, or use clamps to hold it, to cut clean through, it is not happening. Use the force Luke be careful and hold on tight! I used the saw upside-down for grinding off bad edges. It worked well.

My pavers are fitting in layers in all the spots on the first, and second layers( as I am going three high, each paver an inch deep) of the perimeter, and I am getting excited that this collar is going to look sweet and be a WOW water garden( my goal)

I get to the last layer, where I plan to fold the liner down 1/2 way across the second layer, and top with the third layer for a clean collar look of a formal water garden, and I notice my second layer is sliding in, so I figure I just need to slide it back in and keep working thinking nothing of it, and then the landscape cement(liquid nails) will hold the block in place. Of course it never dawned on me to level in the other direction; DOUGH! I figured it would make the water drain back into the pond if it rained to prevent puddles.( yeah I am a bit construction challenged) LOL But hey, I'm in love, so I am building my beautiful princess an Asian water garden to go with the Japanese Maple, so I keep going.

I fold over the liner and wrestle with the liner in each paver. I wrestle with myself and finally get over trying to not cut the liner to make it fit and I cut small slits above the water line between each paver as I put on the third layer, to make it easier to fit it between the pavers, it all fits nicely and looked level and great!

Then everything had time to harden as I took a little break to eat, as it was now almost 5p.m. and I had forgotten to eat. I come back and the love of my life is looking at it and says, "Why are the all the pavers slanted in where the water fall will go?"( as that is her project) I say they are not slanted in, but it will be good for water drainage.( like an idiot LOL)

Long story short I now have a 90 paver collar that is all slanted in, Oh and the waterfall foam I put in the back of the pavers to prevent water loss, as a final touch I thought was a good idea and that I covered with dirt, in the event of a leak, expanded and just slightly bowed out in one of the walls, and it is all solid as a rock now. Life goes on.

My plan to save face with her family and the tenants and neighbors( as they have witnessed and heard me moving wheel barrow fulls of dirt and building and yelling/talking to this pond LOL )

My plan is to use long, draping plants to cover up most of the problem areas on the collar. I decided to redo it's surface next year with tile. The pond is level the decor is kind-of level. LOL

Thanks for listening! I love reading this forum, I am learning so much. I have much to learn about building things. .:rolleyes::)

Reaction score
Thanks Dr Dave,KoiKeeper, and Koiguy. I appreciate all the help. I am over my meltdown now LOL

Thanks again for all the help.

Ask a Question