Foods named after Counties or States

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
javascript:poiZoom(.26333,51.13245,map,11);
I made a whopping Yorkshire pudding for dinner today, it was as big as a Sombrero. There are hundreds of different recipes on how to make it, but most of them fail. Mine never fails, I weigh 2 eggs in a jug, lets say 110 grams, I then add 110 grams of plain flour and 110 grams of milk and a good pinch of smoked salt, whisk vigorously and then pop it into the fridge for a few hours. Pop a tray into a nice hot oven with some oil in and when the oil is piping hot tip your Yorkshire pudding batter into it and replace it back into the oven, ten to fifteen minutes later it will be done.

Most top chef's in the UK think Yorkshire pudding has no place on the plate unless there is Beef on the plate, I don't agree with that statement, I believe it deserves to be on any roast dinner plate, after all we serve sausages with Yorkshire pudding, named Toad in the Hole. Apparently it was food for the Poor, but now very wealthy people eat it, what a turnaround.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_pudding
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_pudding
Looking forward to some lovely recipes from around the World. :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the cooking and history lesson! I've never had Yorkshire Pudding. If prepared properly, what does it taste like? It sounds rather bland. I wish I could contribute, but I'm doing good to boil water, LOL! No interesting recipes in the family....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Thanks for the cooking and history lesson! I've never had Yorkshire Pudding. If prepared properly, what does it taste like? It sounds rather bland. I wish I could contribute, but I'm doing good to boil water, LOL! No interesting recipes in the family....
We would have pudding rather that potatoes with roasts. Topped with gravy it is very good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone

What does it taste like, mmmmm, scratching ones chin. On it's own it is very bland, but if you have a super duper gravy to mop up it becomes the best thing ever. As a Child if there was any left over we used to spread jam on it for a quick dessert, but I wouldn't eat it with jam now. I tend to call it moppy up material, because that's exactly what it does.

Saves time on the washing up. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Lancashire Hotpot is a real belly warmer in colder times, using Mutton is the real version. Unfortunately Mutton is very hard to find in the UK, which makes this meal a bit on the expensive side by using Lamb. Nowadays you can pretty much use most vegetables with a few garlic cloves thrown in. I make mine in the slow cooker and sometimes have Yorkshire pudding with it, to soak up all that lovely gravy. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashire_hotpot

Last edited:

Ask a Question