For all the sites Goldfish keepers you may find this interesting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
For all the sites fanciers of goldfish here is an article from the UK's PFK website and will be of particular interest to @Mmathis @bettasngoldfish and @CometKeith
Maggie I know your thinking of entering your goldfish in a show , these are the standards your going to have to look to to become a champion :-

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....ationwide_winner_is_a_Wakin!&utm_content=html

Or if not a champion it will give you an Idea of the standards your going to have to work to in the show world . personally I think your up to that challenge :happy:

Other articles of interest are as follows:-

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=43

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=42

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=44

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=46

This article is old news many of us life long keepers could have told the scientists our fish do have memory to spare :-

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=23

In Plymouth scentists spent £40,000 on a study of memory with a blue wrass ,what a monumental waste of tax payers money , had they asked Val and I we would have told them our koi when we kept them indoors could tell the difference between when our clock go forwards and backwards, that's plus or minus one hour i;e between BST (british summer time) and (GMT) Greenwhich Mean Time as such they were exellent time keepers .
"Every fish keeper has stories they can tell about their fish remembering things such as feeding times".
Our's would go to the corner of the tank where I sat prior to the lights of the tank going on at the correct time every time both summr and winter "they had done so for years", not months as scientists suggest in Israel, that was well before these study's ever came out . .
Its also a fact that fish remember the net and will go out of their way to aviod it .
The cousins of both goldfish and koi the Wild Carp, as anyCarp fisherman will tell you that they are exeedingly crafty fish indeed and are hard to catch , with some of the largest carp becoming legendary as formidable foes, both exeedingly hard to catch .
They employ every trick in the book that their memory holds to loose that hook and have been known to wrap a line around underwater obstuctions like sunken logs,or tough aquaric plants in an effort to snap the line.
Infact the carp fisherman has to keep up themselves, employing every trick in the book to catch them and are constanly evolving their tactics trying to stay ahead of the Carp's own
No need to torture poor goldfish by giving them electric shocks in this new study.... why not just as a dedicated bunch of fishkeepers, as they could have given them the answer over fish memory many years ago ,
Last but not least our koi have an educated musical bent, loving both Rock and classical music, swimming differently to both forms of music, one energetic the other more relaxed and mellow. so come on you scientists give our fish a break please.... and catch up with what we the fish keeper has long know !!!!...

Last but not least and just for fun :-

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=6375

I hope you find them all intersting reading , both Val and myself did :happy:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
My pleasure Maggie I think your golfish are really half tidy and I think you'd do well Larkin can helpyou if your worried, look at Val's first attempt at showing tropicals . she had a guppy disqualified because the chp we bought off found ours had a greater body than hs own bevcause they had a deeper tank and thus where slighly bigger than his (dirty tricks again) he noticed she was gravid and had her banned.
But in the class Q she had a beautiful male swordtail well (I'm not worthy , I'm not worthy) she not only won first prize but she won the interpet /FBAS champion class on her first ever go at showing in her own right, she has never let me forget this fact either :LOL:
So as you can see Maggie you quite simply dont know how you'll do until judging is over and the prizes awarded, I'll warn you now it gets adictive from 1991 till 1998 we did three shows a year two aquatic shows one in plymouth the other in Cambuorne in Cornwall thn from 1998 to this present day weve done one koi show a year.
Sadly for some reason the aquatic shows were not bringing in the revenue for the respective clubs possibly because all they could offer was fish and a fish aucton/ books etc.
But at the koi show we have other stands from tombolla to bonsai displays wood turning displays which you could order things from .
You could buy bonsai trees , even have lessons in creating one of these beautiful trees .
Plus the car park where we hold the show is in a garden centre, which situated next to its owner's Aquatic store we have a guest dealership and membership stand .
The Plymouth owl man, then all the rest of the garden centre to visit , have a bite to eat , a mobile butchers , green grocers even a pet shop .
Last but not least we have a koi raffle each year or £100 plus other prizes, such as 6kg tubs of koi food medicines etc
That is the reason our koi shows have survived in the UK , there are however some good aquatic shows still going on

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What does "half tidy" mean?
Maggie half tidy is a big compliment in that you have some really nice fish which if shown would more than probably bring you home prizes trophy's etc , you need to match whatever goldfish your showing to the standard you see in the photo's or as near as you can too them :happy:
Val and I are 100% behnd you as will be Larkin in the ru up too the show and on the acctual day :) (y)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Think nothing of it Maria I always check out the PFK site for interesting things , most of the time I find their story's scencaisionalist and self serving more often than not secondhand and out of date but they do cover goldfish shows and koi quite well espcially national shows .
Comparing goldfish standards between the US and the UK you can get a good Idea of the differences between the two countries .
Hopefully Maggie if she does entre the show arena knows now the standards her fish have to be , besides she does have some really nice fish and I think she'll do well especially if Larkin is on hand t help

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Dave.I just saw this thread. Thank you for the links. Oh I think a lot of my goldfish have a 3 second or less memory when I am watching them eat. A fish gulps some non-food item like a seed from a tree and then spits it out, then the same fish gulps the same seed and repeats again and again and again....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Keith dont put your Goldfish down my friend who knows there may be one or two Albert Einstiens swimming around in your pond remember a fish doesnt have any hands so the only way it can touch is to pick up that seed and taste it .
From that it gets can I eat it ,[spit it out],m'mm is it hard [spit it out],m'mm is it soft [spit it out] ,m'mm does it taste nice [spit it out] ,m'mmm does it taste bad[spit it out] does it smell etc.
Look at things that way and they do apear quite brainy because with each mouthing of that seed the goldfish takes away a message and from all that work out if things are edible or not .
Remember Keith our koi over the years learned British summertime which is an hour in advance douring the summer and British Standard time whilst they lived in doors , they would be there ready to eat just prior to the tanks light came on , so how did they learn that ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've read a goldfish has a 3 second memory, and that's how they can live in a small bowl, swimming in circles.

Ask a Question