For bog filter: stock tank or EPDM?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there a general consensus about whether to create a bog pond/filter using a liner or an existing tank? How considerations like pond size, climate, topography, placement, soil, and cost affect this decision?

JBViper4

Fishkeeper
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Lynnski welcome to the GPF. I used a stock for my 900USG pond - I'll post a picture when I find it. 50 G rubbermaid horse trough. I painted it red to brighten it up.

It's about 30% of my pond's surface area and has 10 bags of pond gravel in it. It takes me about 3 weeks to go from muddy mess to crystal clear water. I'm about halfway through it right now. Good luck and there are plenty of great GPF'ers who have more knowledge than I. Thaks to them, I built my bog DYI.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Mine is a huge liner bog. Never have any issues with pea green water or excessive algae. Very seldom have any string algae.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stock tanks have several issue to over come.
1.leveling and packing if in the ground
2. Over wintering and cracking
3 how to get the overflow into the pond without leaking
Longevity.

Epdm
1. Dig a hole or make a raised frame of wood or concrete
2. Supply feed over the edge or a bulked.
3. Return waterfall. Or stream

In my point of view stock tanks shouldn't even be considered

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Stock tanks depend where you are located, warmer climates, even where I am in Md haven’t had any issues with my stock tanks, cracking.

Now aesthetically there is no comparison, I wouldn’t want to look at that on my main pond. Creating natural looking waterfalls and streams, and the sheer beauty of a well built pond, then yeah wouldn’t even consider a stock tank. The smaller pond in the back of my separate garage whatever, no big deal and if they do crack sometime they can just be taken out of the return loop.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Jhn those were commercial tubs are they not when I hear someone say preform I believe they are talking a home depot kindney shaped plastic tub. Big difference in quality and Guage if I'm not mistaken

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jhn those were commercial tubs are they not when I hear someone say preform I believe they are talking a home depot kindney shaped plastic tub. Big difference in quality and Guage if I'm not mistaken
Yep, the ones I have are commercial tubs. The preforms, are crap definitely wouldn’t even consider those for anything like you said.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Jhn LOOKS LIKE I JOINED THE turtle SQUAD, CAME HOME TO A LITTLE GUY SWIMMING AROUND I THINK IT'S A PAINTER

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Haha nice, hopefully it hangs out for awhile. Got an extra box turtle in my pond compound, guess it climbed over the open curtain area. Will pull it out of there soon don’t really need more turtles in there to take care of.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It smelt the buffet other other side of the wall. It heard the border was open

Reaction score
Country
United States
Stock tanks have several issue to over come.
1.leveling and packing if in the ground
2. Over wintering and cracking
3 how to get the overflow into the pond without leaking
Longevity.

Epdm
1. Dig a hole or make a raised frame of wood or concrete
2. Supply feed over the edge or a bulked.
3. Return waterfall. Or stream

In my point of view stock tanks shouldn't even be considered
This is very helpful, thanks. EPDM is clearly the way forward for our build. Can you clarify in point 2 under EPDM, what is a bulked? Or maybe this is a typo. I'm trying to understand what the edges of a raised bog would look like; if we built a wooden frame and laid the liner in the frame, do the edges get covered with rock? Or is it possible to have the liner go over the frame edges and then be buried under soil as we create a slope around the frame?

Ask a Question