For the love of Garlic Montresor...

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ahh the fish, my lovely cavorting and trusting fish who so eagerly swim up to me in the morning for their breakfast...
I have read about garlic being so tasty and good for fish and last night I made lasagna for dinner (for the humans not the fish, just to be clear).
Anyway, I had a lovely small clove of garlic left which I eagerly chopped up to feed to my finned fellows. Came outside with a hot cup of coffee for me and some leeetle pieces of garlic for them.
As I approached they eagerly greeted me, (I'm sure it's my personality not the food), and I eagerly responded by dropping the garlic bits in the water.
They sucked them up so fast you'd have thought it was chocolate.
And them promptly spit them out.
Every last teeny tiny piece of garlic is now sitting on the bottom of my pond.
And I'm pretty sure 2 of my shubunkins flipped me the fin before angrily speeding off.
So as it stands, other foods=0.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, try the lasagna. Maybe they'll like that better.

Just kidding. Maybe it's an acquired taste? I've always read that people mix it with their regular food, but I've never tried it myself.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought about that before and I wonder if garlic, fresh from the clove [IOW, not diluted into food] might be too strong for them [fish, not humas]. I've tried mixing it with turtle food, and they didn't seem to care for it, but then, I'm not much of a cook either, sooo......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I was under the impression that it has to be softened. Either boil or roast. I can see fresh garlic being too hard to eat. Small or not. My fish won't eat grapes or blueberries unless I crust the insides out and discard the skin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I crush raw garlic with a press, and stir the juicy, sticky goodness into a serving of fish kibble. It is like crack. I've seen fist fights (fin fights?) break out in my pond over the stuff.

Ask a Question