For those of tried Koi Spawning

Reaction score
just curious on something i heard
is it true that if you spawn from sibling koi's (brother and sister) from same parents the result would be bad?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
NO,What can happen is if there are genes of undesirable traits they can be multiplied. So if of carries a gen for say bent spine then they both carry that gene. On the other end of the spectrum top breeders may take siblings of parent to sibling to breed back to help a line breed more true. this is often the case it top quality Kohaku as they are trying to perfect a color to a big body growth to get those few top quality koi they will be using in the future.
What you have read has some truth but not 100% true. Does that make sense?

Reaction score
NO,What can happen is if there are genes of undesirable traits they can be multiplied. So if of carries a gen for say bent spine then they both carry that gene. On the other end of the spectrum top breeders may take siblings of parent to sibling to breed back to help a line breed more true. this is often the case it top quality Kohaku as they are trying to perfect a color to a big body growth to get those few top quality koi they will be using in the future.

thanks for the clarification.
by the way does it goes same for goldfish too?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for the clarification.
by the way does it goes same for goldfish too?

The same goes for goldfish too blackmailer, part of the problem we are seeing with koi nowadays is they come from a small gene pool so the more expensive the koi the more problems you'll see with its immune system, too the point where they can fail completely (this is recognisedby the breeders).
The Japanese now have set about adding a new bloodlines program from the original Magoi or eating koi however at the moment the colour of these new koi isnt anything to write home about so they arent being sold.
But like everything these things take time to work out and get right .
So its a case of watch this space at this moment in time but watch this space for future develpments with these koi

Dave

Reaction score
The same goes for goldfish too blackmailer, part of the problem we are seeing with koi nowadays is they come from a small gene pool so the more expensive the koi the more problems you'll see with its immune system, too the point where they can fail completely (this is recognisedby the breeders).
The Japanese now have set about adding a new bloodlines program from the original Magoi or eating koi however at the moment the colour of these new koi isnt anything to write home about so they arent being sold.
But like everything these things take time to work out and get right .
So its a case of watch this space at this moment in time but watch this space for future develpments with these koi

Dave

thanks for the info dave.
i guess i need to change half of my koi's and get new batch from other local breeder.
and im all set.;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for the info dave.
i guess i need to change half of my koi's and get new batch from other local breeder.
and im all set.;)
Ah yes and no it depends on where they got their breeding stock from in the first place and just how restricted their own stock is due to this , however I wouldnt let it worry you non as I doubt your own fry would be affected by this and if like fishing4cars has already stated

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The best man to talk to about spawning is koiguy 1969 I think

Dave

Ask a Question