For those that net their ponds for winter

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When do you remove your net? I am itching to remove it with nicer days. I will say though that I have tons of trees and it is really nice to have all the maple droppings landing on the net at this time.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I leave mine up all year but mine is not for leaves it is for protection from predators. It is raised up on posts about 4ft up. Gives me peace of mind knowing the fish are protected all year long. Herons do stop by and wander around in circles trying to figure out how to get in there but they leave in disgust :joyful:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm with you - we netted the pond last winter and I was pulling it off right about this time. I couldn't stand looking at it anymore!

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I leave mine up all year but mine is not for leaves it is for protection from predators. It is raised up on posts about 4ft up. Gives me peace of mind knowing the fish are protected all year long. Herons do stop by and wander around in circles trying to figure out how to get in there but they leave in disgust :joyful:
I am just itching to take mine off today! I don’t want to leave the fish too vulnerable though if they are moving slow. They have tons of caves in the deeper areas they can retreat to.
I take my fine mesh ones off once the trees have dropped their spring seeds.
Yes, I probably really should wait because we have so many trees and they are very messy in spring. I will be patient!

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wait - is the net for LEAVES or PREDATORS? If it 's for predators, your fish will never get "fast enough" to avoid them and the net should stay up.

The net is for both leaves and predators. It was my understanding that when water temperature is cold that fish are in a torpor state and move slower making them more vulnerable to predators such as raccoons. Am I wrong?

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Luckily we haven’t had any heron visitors - I think that is partially because we have so much tree cover (in summer) hiding the pond from their view.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put it up in the Fall and take it down in the Spring.
Me too - just trying to dial in the most optimal time in spring. It’s our third year with pond, but only second winter that we had fish and netted it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Me too - just trying to dial in the most optimal time in spring. It’s our third year with pond, but only second winter that we had fish and netted it.
It kinda depends on what you have falling that can get into your pond. Some have spring droppings of blossoms and such that can foul the water up also. As for predators you just never know when they will find your pond. Just be watchful and a camera setup is nice also to see what comes around.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It kinda depends on what you have falling that can get into your pond. Some have spring droppings of blossoms and such that can foul the water up also. As for predators you just never know when they will find your pond. Just be watchful and a camera setup is nice also to see what comes around.
Thanks! Yes - last spring my pond water looked like tea - haha, but I was very diligent about scooping out the floating debris multiple times per day. Surounding my pond is a large oak tree, cigar tree, walnut tree, pine tree, red buds, tulip trees, and loads of maples. There is so much coming down in both spring a fall. Good times!

Ask a Question