For those who have an Indoor koi pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There used to be a pond store in a town near by, where they had a beautiful indoor pond, with skimmer, waterfalls, nicely landscaped (fake and indoor plants).... it looked just like an outdoor pond, only it was indoor.
I thought someday, when my kids are grown and gone, I could put one in down in the basement, but I don't know the first thing about indoor ponds, and I'm not even sure I will still like the idea once all the facts come in.
So I was wondering if anyone on this Forum, has an indoor pond and can give me a better idea of what I'd have learn/ take into consideration, in order to be successful....
Some questions I have:
1) Do indoor pond increase humidity to the point of harming the structure of the home?
2) How bad will the smell be?
3) Is the algae an issue even for indoor ponds
4) Are there rules as far as material used to build?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The indoor humidity issue should be the number one consideration.
I have a number of indoor heated/unheated aquatic setups, so I use a heat recovery ventilator to control humidity.
Everything else about indoor setups can be successfully set up within your budget and maintenance tolerances.

What is your heating ventilation air conditioning (HVAC) system?
How old is your house?
What part of the country do you live in?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The indoor humidity issue should be the number one consideration.
I have a number of indoor heated/unheated aquatic setups, so I use a heat recovery ventilator to control humidity.
Everything else about indoor setups can be successfully set up within your budget and maintenance tolerances.

What is your heating ventilation air conditioning (HVAC) system?
How old is your house?
What part of the country do you live in?

Forced air system
House was built I believe in the early 90s
Central part of the country

Thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Ok, you need to educate yourself about your typical humidity variations and get an estimate from a local HVAC contractor about how to best handle high humidity conditions in your home.
Since your home was built in the 90's you mosts likely have a good vapour barrier and good (2X6) construction.
I looked up climate conditions in Kansas, which would be central, but the climate can vary quite a bit from what I read.
If you have an air conditioner, it will produce more condensate, so make sure it's drainage system is working properly.
If your HVAC contractor recommends a HRV, it will take care of any smells produced by the indoor pond.

If you still want to go ahead, what you set up is really only limited by your imagination and budget.

Reaction score
I had a indoor turtle pond in our basement, about 100 gals. I had a full size basement and never had any issues with humidity, actually my house got really dry in the winter. The AC took care of any extra during the summer.
I know have a 100 gal stock tank and 55 gal tank in my basement at my new home, it is the same but it is a 110 yr old farmhouse so little insulation but still not a problem.
This was the turtle pond
20150620_190244.jpg

Ask a Question