For you hummingbird and flower lovers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm hanging my hummingbird feeders this afternoon. I had quite a few humming birds last summer and well into the fall. I've planted two red Mandevilla plants just below where the feeders will hang. Hope this will attract more. I'll add another feeder if it does!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We have hummingbirds back, but it's just the start so I have yet to see any. I'll probably put my feeder out this weekend.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I make my own, just 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. Use no soap when cleaning anything to do w/them as they say if you do it will discourage them from using your feeders,just hot water to clean. I don't color the water either. The feeders have red on them to attract them. Toss out food when cloudy. Hanging them in shade works best for me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I make my own, just 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. Use no soap when cleaning anything to do w/them as they say if you do it will discourage them from using your feeders,just hot water to clean. I don't color the water either. The feeders have red on them to attract them. Toss out food when cloudy. Hanging them in shade works best for me.

Exactly! The store bought stuff is expensive and the red dye isn't good for the hummers. Although I often wonder how good white sugar is for them...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I guess you could just plant a bunch of Hummingbird loving plants and skip the feeders. Not sure what kind of sweetener would be best for them.

Ask a Question