forget me nots

Reaction score
about a month ago i put forget me nots in the pond and it has really taken off but now it seems that just below the waterline some leaves are browning. should i be concerned?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Forget Me Nots aren't really a pond / bog plant, but rather a woods / meadow plant. They like partial shade and moist, but not soaking wet soil. I have them in my front garden. They're self-seeding and as such they migrate from year to year. If they're growing on the margin of your pond, I'd not worry about them too much. The leaves below the water line are browning because it's not an aquatic plant. They actually like water , but in a well drained soil (damp soil as in shaded forest). They don't like being water-logged. They're an annual and grow where seeds are dropped. If you aren't careful, they can actually get a little out of hand, I have them growing in my front lawn, but they were originally planted in my front garden.

Don't worry about browning leaves as they are just too wet. As long as the roots of the plant aren't saturated, they'll do fine. I have mostly blue ones, but some have mutated I guess or have been cross pollinated, so some of the plants are producing white or very pale purpley-blue flowers. Ones growing where you don't want them next year, just pull them up like you would a weed, or mow them over. Hope that helped a bit. None-the-less, a very lovely plant to have. Very low maintenance.

BTW.... the wiki article says they flower mainly in the spring, but I beg to differ .... you'll have flowers during much of the spring and well into the summer depending on when the seeds germinate. I've had flowering plants well into August.

A bit more info > http://en.wikipedia....i/Forget-me-not

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love those little blue flowered Forget me nots and mine also get a little brown on the bottom leaves at times. Mine are stuck between the rocks around the edge of my pond w/ their feet in the water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mine are in the bog, always wet,feet and crown, blooming great, growing like weeds, they get leggy i give mine a hair cut off and on

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Another great plant that does well and likes moist sandy soil is sedum acre (Stone crop) There are over 400 varieties and they grow very well in a rock garden. They like moisture and are a succulent. Mixed with forget me nots, the blue and yellow flowers of both together look amazing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have sedum growing here and there it does look nice. Most of mine is just starts, none in the pond bog, but some in the carnivorous plant bog.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a few varieties but there is one in particular that is doing very well in my bog and pond. I stuck it in a few places in my creeks and they have just taken off, growing 3 times as fast the ones in the ground. The ones in the bog have only been there for a few weeks so will have to report back but so far it looks good...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Never thought of Sedum being stuck in the water. Just thought they were land dry plants. Whadaya know! I have tons of them here and they are so easy to start. Just clip and stick in the dirt so now just clip and stick in the water too :razz:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
I haven't got sedum right in my pond, but in the area around it. They need no maintenance and once established, they grow like crazy :)

I find mine tend to die-off a little after they flower, but when in bloom, what an amazing show they put on. I treat my forget me nots as a dry land plant but just make sure they get plenty to drink, and they do exceptionally fine. Maybe too well actually. But again, little pockets of forget me nots mixed in with little pockets of sedum.... what a great combo visually! The sedum I have are the low-growing type ( 6 inches tall in clumps with yellow blooms). You don't even have to plant them as they have little root hairs the grow along the length of the plant. Just take a handfull of them pulled right off of the ground, and place them on top of loose soil. keep them moist for a few days and they'll take off all on their own.

But as for the browning leaves on the forget me nots.... that's just the leaves that are under water..... the rest of the plant should be just fine.

Ask a Question