Formal Pond Stones

Reaction score
Country
United States
Trying to go for a somewhat formal look on a tiny rectangle pond. I'm wondering if anyone could suggest some potential stones / pavers to use. Currently the best I can find is something like this Nantucket stone at Home Depot but I'm really hoping for something a little nicer looking. I like grey colors. I've thought about doing custom paving from companies as well but was hoping I could pick a type of stone or paver that uniform and could be placed together to make a nice rectangle.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nantuck...x-4-in-Granite-Gray-Edger-Kit-20808/205187772

gray-and-textured-nantucket-pavers-edging-stones-20808-64_1000.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do you have pictures of the pond? Hard to visualize what youi looking for

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree with @qclabrat about pictures of your pond. If we can see what your pond and the surrounding area look like, we’ll be better able to give you an opinion. All ponds are different and “scaping” them is such a personal choice. The more pictures and from various angles would be great!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with @qclabrat about pictures of your pond. If we can see what your pond and the surrounding area look like, we’ll be better able to give you an opinion. All ponds are different and “scaping” them is such a personal choice. The more pictures and from various angles would be great!

I have one or two photos so far. This is from last year but it is the same this year.

See the black plastic 'Choppers'? Currently those are like the border around the pond area so that I can weed whip around it. I want to replace the Choppers with stones on 3 sides of the pond area so it is easier to weed whip and so it looks nicer than just using plastic black Choppers. The Choppers tip over all the time and I'm sick of them.

The 4th side closest to the camera view is a small ledge so I would leave that part as is, or put in a thin retainer wall that is mostly unseen.

I also need to level the liner but that's a whole other project. The pond is only 220 gallons but it's usually just enough to run a 1 to 2 foot high foam jet venturi style fountain.

12091.png

This is what a Chopper looks like for those unfamiliar with them. They are good for temporary edging in a crunch but they look bad I believe, especially when they pop out of the ground due to frost heave, etc.

2020_20__chopper_5049a95907310.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ugh - yes! I hate those things. That and the metal edging that some people use - useless and annoying! We pulled hundreds of feet of that stuff up at the last house we lived in.

Maybe @RobAmy has some ideas for stone - he's a master!

And I know you didn't ask, but since you mentioned leveling the liner... I would take this opportunity to take out the preform, dig the pond a little bigger, drop in an EPDM liner and THEN do the edging and surround. Just a thought!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
granite can get expensive but is sure nice to look at
Have you considered the other tumbled stone options, they are concrete, but comes in different sizes for a less uniform look
greystone-pavestone-garden-wall-blocks-92334-e1_1000.jpg

I actually used these around my pond, they are sunk into pea gravel flush and have a nice feel
blue-nantucket-pavers-stepping-stones-52201-d4_1000.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You should really work on a budget then see what is available for that budget. There are many options in the gray family. I would skip home depot an go to a landscape supply company an see what they have to offer, they can usually deliver too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I agree with @Lisak1 and @Mmathis as well. You have plenty of room for a larger pond and it'll look better and last way longer than the preform. Of course, we aren't the ones paying for it OR doing the work, but it'll be so worth it if you go bigger. (y)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree with @Lisak1 and @Mmathis as well. You have plenty of room for a larger pond and it'll look better and last way longer than the preform. Of course, we aren't the ones paying for it OR doing the work, but it'll be so worth it if you go bigger. (y)
And, you’d only have to do everything once instead of “decorating” now, then doing a bigger pond build later and having to rip it all up to start over.

Reaction score
Country
United States
granite can get expensive but is sure nice to look at
Have you considered the other tumbled stone options, they are concrete, but comes in different sizes for a less uniform look
greystone-pavestone-garden-wall-blocks-92334-e1_1000.jpg

I actually used these around my pond, they are sunk into pea gravel flush and have a nice feel
blue-nantucket-pavers-stepping-stones-52201-d4_1000.jpg

So these white greyish stones at the bottom of the second photo are the nantucket pavers? (same as the ones from Home Depot)

For the top photo, the brownish colored pavers that make the border, how would those handle a 90 degree angle, or wouldn't they? They look like they could only do slight curves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You should really work on a budget then see what is available for that budget. There are many options in the gray family. I would skip home depot an go to a landscape supply company an see what they have to offer, they can usually deliver too.

I've been contemplating this as well. I'm finding that I've only found like one or two pavers / stones at Home Depot / Lowes that I really like. I was hoping to have a larger selection to choose from but I am finding Home Depot / Lowes to be quite limited. I do like the Nantucket pavers thought. So far they are my favorite from the big box stores. I'm hoping to check out some landscaping places soon.

Ask a Question