Forum Upgrade on the horizon!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We're going to be making the jump to some new forum software (which should solve some of the problems and limitations with this one!), and we're hoping to make the move sometime next week.

I've done a test upgrade and all works well, but I'm just waiting for a few little tweaks before we move over. All of the data, attachments and so on will remain exactly the same - it's just the interface that will change, but it's so much easier to use :).

I'll post a bit more once we get closer to the day :D.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
may be it will help stop spammers more there is one in recent status updates freeimage something or the other

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
To be honest, I'm not a fan of fixing things that ain't broke and so far, this ain't broke. What problems and limitations was this forum having?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest, I'm not a fan of fixing things that ain't broke and so far, this ain't broke. What problems and limitations was this forum having?
The problem is that it is broken :(. I'm not a fan of change for the sake of it (I'm more a "keep it simple" person!).

There are quite a few features on the site that no longer work as they should in many browsers (copy/paste, quote function, large image uploading, etc...), but more importantly it's incredibly difficult to maintain the "backend" of the forums to keep things running smoothly. I've converted another site to XenForo and it has been such a breeze to keep bug free - if there are any problems it's so quick to sort out. I've tried to keep GPF running smoothly on this current software, but it's become increasingly difficult. Even if we stuck with the same software, it still has to be upgraded to keep it secure and compatible - so we're now at a point where we upgrade with IPB (that we're currently using) or jump ship to something so much easier to manage.

I understand that it's less than ideal, but I'll be doing everything I can to make sure that it's a painless and smooth transition. The upgrade should provide a huge boost to the anti-spam capabilities which are now underpowered on this forum software.

If you're looking for a good example of how the software could work, check out www.livingreefs.com to see how that works :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I ran our radiology info system, the users hated any change. esp if they had to learn something new.

I love change, chance to make the brain work, helps to keeps it young.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
j.w said:
I just checked that site out that Ian mentioned and it looks pretty much the same as ours and I see no problems w/it so if this is how ours will turn out I see no worries at all as Ian is da man
J.w., have you done something with your hair??? :afro:
John

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Wow, I didn't know that Ian and Becky ran a living reef forum too. I like the way it's set up. I am not fond of learning new forums either, but this most certainly has my attention. I like it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That is so funny !! I was on Livingreefs for years. Never knew you ran both forums. It is a nice set up.

Ask a Question