Found! 3 Super-Earth Planets That Could Support Alien Life

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I am told this is just 3 more bringing the total to 9!

http://www.space.com/21706-habitable-alien-planets-gliese-667c.html

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/20...h-planets-that-could-support-alien-life?lite=

The second one is the newsfeed, the first is the source link.

Gliese system has three stars, and these planets orbit a cooler smaller star in the trio so the habitable zone is closer in. They are saying three rocky in zone and maybe 7 total.

I wonder how long it will be to verify life elsewhere. Then watch the fun.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am sure there is some sort of life out there besides us. If they get to our planet, that means they are way beyond us. We are babies in space, just learning to crawl.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
addy1 said:
I am sure there is some sort of life out there besides us. If they get to our planet, that means they are way beyond us. We are babies in space, just learning to crawl.
Exactly. The universe is so large that life elsewhere is very likely. But it is also so vast that the chances of two civilizations meeting us is next to zero. Chances are that if we ever do discover intelligent life the civilization will have long since gone extinct.

As you say if one does manage to find us they will have some sort of faster then light drive which is quite a ways off for us unless there is some unforeseen breakthrough. Not likely as fusion power has be right around the corner for over 50 years.

I am far more interested on the impact confirmation of alien life will have on our society particularly among the religious community.

One of my clergy friends and I were eating breakfast when I brought up the subject of alien life. He agreed that it must exist and was part of gods handiwork. We talked about how it could well be intelligent life. I suggested that they may well have souls in the image of God but bodies like slugs. He agreed it was possible God being a free agent and all. When I asked if he was willing to say as much from the pulpit he shook his head. The public or at least his congregation was not ready to hear it.

It seems there is a sizable segment of the population that will never be ready. Maybe it is better if it never happens but that may be wishful thinking.

Reaction score
HTH said:
I wonder how long it will be to verify life elsewhere. Then watch the fun.
It won't change anything. It would be interesting, but it won't change anything.
That new technique they are using to detect planets can't really tell much about the planet except it's size and orbit and not much else. It has confirmed the abundance of planets around other stars, but nobody seriously doubted that anyway.
It's a shame that those planets are so far away and our neighboring planets ended up being so inhospitable, but I guess it's just as well. We can't even take care of our own jewel of a planet, what right have we to go screwing up other planets?

Ask a Question