Found a baby fishie where he shouldn't be

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was outside this morning and was standing on the falls cleaning string algae out of the small pool/bog the skippies feed and found a little baby fishie. He is only about an inch long, white with a little orange.

My pumps suck water from the pond then into two separate skippies, Then the skippies overflow into a small pool/bog that is only about 3' x 4' and 12" deep. The then water goes down the falls into the pond.

So somehow this little guy made it through the pumps, into the skippies and into the small pool/bog at the top of the falls and decided to make it home.

I cornered him with my hands and was able to gently catch him and toss him into the pond. I can't imagine what he thought when he got down there and saw a huge pond and lots of other fishies. I hope the others are welcoming of him LOL.

I think when I do my fall clean of the pond I may need to check the pool/bog and skippies very closely for any little guys who have made a home of them. I don't think they could survive winter up there.

Silly fishies.

This is the little upper pool/bog...

DSCN2590.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pecan, This is the second year in a row it's happened to us. Last year I back-flushed a small yellow koi out of the filter falls and found it in the grass, This year when we moved the trashmaster filter we had to drain it completely and a 3" koi came out on the pavement. The one that got flushed out last year has turned out to be a really nice Ki Utsuri that we really like alot. the one this year, well I've been calling it the ugly ducklin. Between it and Toby the mammonth baby koi that we kept from the flock spawn this year, they rival each other pretty darn close in pureMUTT UGLY. But we still love all our own produced babies, Guess they all can't be diamonds in the rough.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really neat pecan that you got to save him from the cold blasts of winter to come and hope he lives a long good life in your nice big pond w/ all his fish buddies :goldfish:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep funny how the egg will get sucked in and they are lucky no body to eat them and a rich source of food .

Reaction score
I found babies in the big pond last night, while looking around with a flashlight. Should I section them off from the others or just let them go? I'm sure there are more, but I've never had babies before :))

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If they are close to or over a inch long you might as well leave them be. Once they get to that size they are pretty safe even with fairly large fish. make sure and give them some kind of hiding area. Rock piles, plants, milk crates, etc. being able to graze naturally they will grow and color up pretty quick.

Ask a Question