Found a fish - not fry...

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Remember that thread about missing fish? Until yesterday I had 10 fish. Yesterday evening I was removing my filter from the skimmer to hose it off, and I thought I saw a little movement sliding under the pump casing. I put my arm way down there, and sure enough.. something slithered past my hand and I caught the glimpse of fishtail slipping quickly into the space that holds the UV lights (I don't have any). An hour and a half later, after completely taking the skimmer apart, removing the pump and everything else removeable, I was able to net a shubunkin, 4" to 5" long. Now, I have had ten fish since about two weeks after putting the pond in last summer. So either this is a fry that got BEHIND the basket and into the pump this summer, or this is the 11th fish that went missing last summer right after we put them in. We had a problem with the skimmer last August and our pond guy came out and did a repair. He said he thought he saw a fish, but then said no... he was wrong. Well apparently our missing fish spent the entire year in the skimmer. I guess he's small because he's been back there for 12 months!

This morning he's swimming with the big guys and seems to be enjoying his freedom.

Joan

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
IM sure hes glad to be back in the real pond ..:fish2:

Reaction score
Glad you found him/her. We had a new small koi that went missing after putting him in our pond. Found him two months later in a part of our stream that pooled a bit when we shut our stream down for a cleanout before winter. You wonder how they survive like that! A bit amazing. He's stayed put this year, no more jumping upstream, lol. Best of luck.

Ask a Question