Found a huge tadpole!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is currently what my “pond” looks like until we finally get a new one dug (blue is an intex pool, black is a 300 gal stock tank). We moved fish, plants, snails, and some tadpoles over from the old house just about a year ago. I was just netting out the bottom of the blue pool-pond and found a really big tadpole living in there! It must have come over with the move last year, but all the other tadpoles grew up and left. Biggest tadpole I’ve ever seen in person — the guy is at least 3” long — I thought it was a fish, at first! No legs yet. I put him back in the water.

All I can think of is that it’s a bullfrog, but have never seen bullfrogs in or around old or new ponds. Or maybe a visiting bird dropped it in the water. Anyway, it will be fun to see what it grows up to be. If it is a bullfrog, it will live in our neighborhood lake once it transforms.

6236542D-C528-4292-BB6C-4B5E24DB735D.jpeg
415190DB-A4B9-41C0-9C53-ECBB0C06A0FE.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Both bullfrog and green frog tadpoles are massively huge! How fun to discover your little guy!

Ask a Question