found eggs in my pond

Reaction score
today my son found thousand of eggs attached to the liner of the pond. what ,if anything should i do?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
What kind of eggs? what do they look like? got pics? fish eggs will more than likely be scattered unless you have a fish that is not normally found in a garden pond. If the have slime coating probably frog eggs, if they are in a ball, I think newts lay that way, (Not sure we don't have newts here that I know of. Also what color are the eggs? this may help identify what you have.

Reaction score
hi, i am relatively sure they are koi. my new pond has only been up and running for a week. one of my koi was very wide and now is slim. some are white and some are clear. there does appear to be some type of coating that has attached them to the liner . i would take pics but i don't know how to post them. thanks

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Koi eggs will be widely scattered, They will be attached to the liner, plants, rocks etc. they are very sticky when first layed. the white one are infertile eggs, good eggs appera almost clear amber in color. If you leave them with the parents in the pond the adults will eat 95%+ of the eggs. but it's common for some to survive. to raise them seperate check this link out, he has a good set-up working and good detail to see first hand if you want to attempt trying to raise or leave them and let nature take it's course.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/fry-progress-report-t7585p9.html

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you want to get a high yield, isolate the eggs and treat with methylene blue at 1/2 strength to prevent fungus.

Reaction score
thanks for all the help. i think we will leave it alone and let nature do the rest. maybe i can get one or two fish from the bunch of eggs.

Reaction score
today i had a disaster and had to remove most of my water. to my surprise i found several small fish, maybe 1/2 inch or so. glad i let well enough alone.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great! for the little fish finding. hope your disaster works out ok

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score