Found fry in plant tote. Now what?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So after 13 yrs. of ponding and always hoping to raise the fry so I could see them--somehow I end up with fry in a tiny tote I put floaters in to fertilize. They are very tiny and still opaque in color. I would like to bring them in for the winter but I have no set up and not a lot of room. What is the smallest tank or set up I could do and the best sponge filters for the money? Also-I just added a small air stone to the tote after seeing them, so the water has mosquito larvae and snails. They are only in around 5-10 gals. of water with no filter, two water hyacinths and the already mentioned creatures. How long can they stay in there without a filter?

I am also having an issue being able to add more pond water to the bucket. My koi spawned so much in a week that my ammonia went high and I didn't have time to do a water change, so I added Microbe Lift ammonia remover. Now I keep getting a green reading and have no idea how much if any is toxic ammonia. So I don't want to add pond water to the fry--I tested the tote and it is yellow. So how can I add some more water to help them with the high temps until I can get them inside? Should I just add tap and dechlor?

Does anyone know how I can just test the toxic ammonia and not the total?

How long before they are big enough to eat the mosquito babies, I should not feed them fry food in the tote, right? They are looking for food, but not much in there I don't think. I really want to save some. There are maybe 10. I can try and get pics tomorrow as it's to dark now. Thank You

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not a Koi expert. But by accident we ended up with quite a few of them. We bought like four of them and added them to our recreational pond. The next year we saw fingerlings and now have some 15-20 of them. Some about 18 inches long, some palm sized. This year we saw some minnow sized ones on the edge of the pond. My son and I netted some and brought them inside. We have some 17 of them in a 10 gallon aquarium. They eat the dried goldfish flakes. They’re doing just fine!

Attachments

• F3B720DC-E119-43F1-AB26-DF0A0F1AAE38.jpeg
    F3B720DC-E119-43F1-AB26-DF0A0F1AAE38.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 173
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've heard that the ammonia lock products can mess up your ammonia readings. I had surprise goldfish fry this year and kept about 30 in a 20 gallon tote for a couple months before it was an issue. But I also did alot of water changes. I would do a water change and go ahead and set out a 5 gallon bucket of water to dechlorinate and be ready for next time. I would add a filter as soon as you can. Also, I was so excited to finally have fry too, and I'm glad I did it once, but man it takes a lot of time and effort and I hope they eat all the eggs next year. :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I am not a Koi expert. But by accident we ended up with quite a few of them. We bought like four of them and added them to our recreational pond. The next year we saw fingerlings and now have some 15-20 of them. Some about 18 inches long, some palm sized. This year we saw some minnow sized ones on the edge of the pond. My son and I netted some and brought them inside. We have some 17 of them in a 10 gallon aquarium. They eat the dried goldfish flakes. They’re doing just fine!
What are you using for filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
One reason I don't feed much, if at all, my fish inhale the eggs.
I have to rehome some of my big ones for sure. This is the first time in 6 yrs. we have fry. I pulled some plants and they are in a tote. still can't figure out the ammonia issue, but am going to try and bring these ones in for winter and maybe see what I have and keep a few after the big ones find a new bigger home. Hopefully I can find a bigger pond near by.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So I added more water to the tote today from tap. I didn't fill as if it rains-I didn't want them to be close to the top. I still don't have a tank for inside, nor do I really know what filter I need. I was thinking of leaving them outside for a couple weeks and getting a filter to place in the tote. As they are so small, I will never get them all unless I start feeding them and they grow.

Should I place a new thread for filter questions? I'll put here anyways. I will also post some pics of the tote and what pics I have of the fry along with filter options and questions. Water is starting to get green and cloudy--how often should I change it? As I just added the 5 gals today.

Which filter is the best option is any of these and what size would I get for a 55 gal.? Can I put one while still outside and hide the pump under that green pot like the current pump? Also do I need the air stones to put in the center of the filters? I was going to get 2 filters. What size and suggestions for an air pump to run them, do I still need a separate air stone? I wasn't going to use a heater or rocks on the bottom, but a lighted cover and live plants. Without gravel, how do you get the plants to sink? That may seem like a stupid question, but I haven't had an aquarium in many yrs. Last, what is the best check valve?

You have to look close to see the fry. Let me know if you see them.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 190
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 20190813_122014.jpg
    20190813_122014.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG