Found my hole in pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Oh man. This is making me wonder if I need the concrete cloth. Arrrggghhh. Sorry that happened!
I had a 3" hole in my liner about 6 years ago. I drained the water below it, cleaned and dried the liner, fitted the pieces together as best as possible. I went to the aquarium store and bought aquarium sealant that is put around the inside of the aquarium to make sure glass is completely sealed. The hole stayed sealed up for 3 years until I replaced my liner.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I had a 3" hole in my liner about 6 years ago. I drained the water below it, cleaned and dried the liner, fitted the pieces together as best as possible. I went to the aquarium store and bought aquarium sealant that is put around the inside of the aquarium to make sure glass is completely sealed. The hole stayed sealed up for 3 years until I replaced my liner.
Silicone sealant is not structural, so this isn’t really advised even though it worked for you. I have used silicone to cover very small holes, but in that case it is simply a sealant and not holding pieces of liner together.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m going to patch it but I think this is going to have to be the last year with this liner. Which I guess is okay cause I want to expand the pond anyways. This gives me a reason. Make it deeper and bigger. But I was just looking cause this animal problem is not going to go away. Dang I live in the country. Has anyone seen or used this? I have a feeling though it’s not going to have crystal clear water like I like. If I use this.

Attachments

• 3DE92DB0-AAFF-4BFE-A60C-6234741B95CA.png
    3DE92DB0-AAFF-4BFE-A60C-6234741B95CA.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 14

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m going to patch it but I think this is going to have to be the last year with this liner. Which I guess is okay cause I want to expand the pond anyways. This gives me a reason. Make it deeper and bigger. But I was just looking cause this animal problem is not going to go away. Dang I live in the country. Has anyone seen or used this? I have a feeling though it’s not going to have crystal clear water like I like. If I use this.
I have only heard of that being used in natural clay ponds to seal the bottom.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
One of my many pond books has a section on that stuff. It states that it is more commonly use in larger reservoirs and natural ponds, but does work in smaller applications. The book does mention that it usually is not completely waterproof, so you may have to top off the pond more often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Silicone sealant is not structural, so this isn’t really advised even though it worked for you. I have used silicone to cover very small holes, but in that case it is simply a sealant and not holding pieces of liner together.
worked for me....held for 6 years

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So I went to 3 stores. I’m about to order them online cause my pond place I go to doesn’t open till day again. All they have are pool patches. Can you use those?
noooooooooo a pool is usually vinyl you appear to have epdm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I patched holes chewed in the liner of my stream about 8 years ago and have had no issues. Be sure you use the EPDM patch kit and it will hold for you. Mouse or chipmunk chewed holes in the liner fold under the bluestone of a small waterfall. Took me three days before I pulled up that stone and found my leak. Stupid rodents.

Ask a Question