Found my leak! Need advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I found my leak problem today. It's the metal adapter where the flexible pipe meets the pipe that goes up to the waterfall. Any ideas on where I can find a replacement part? We are totally new to pond care as we inherited this pond when we bought our house. I'm adding a photo for reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 307
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hard to tell from the picture. You'll need to clean off dirt and expose pipe better for exchange anyway. Send another pic then.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could it be just one of those dual hose connectors .They just use hose clamps to put them together .It goes in side each pipe and hose clamps hold them tight .They used metal but they come in plastic also

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Tough to tell from the photo, but home depot has a few different adapters. You will need to take it off, then just bring it there to match it up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True most people there if you show them the part they can help you find it or know what it is .To me it looks metal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It's more than I can do myself. I have no idea how I'd even get the broken ends off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies. I have a pond pro coming to do a quick fix tomorrow. I sent photos to him today and he said that metal coupling was not really an appropriate piece to have on there to start with since they do ultimately rust. I'm not sure if it just was old and broke or the pipe burst from the abnormally cold weather we've had in KY lately!

In the meantime he advised me to pull my pump out and just run it in the pond so it gets some aeration. We've scooped 8 dead tiny fish out of there already :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That metal piece that has the locking clamp they have not sold for years now It is brass unless that is the plastic counterpart and it just looks like brass .But it is easy to fix like shown above .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
The guy coming in the morning is going to replace it with rubber couplings.

We truly are pond newbies. We moved into this house in June 2014 and had never taken care of a pond before. The only input we got from the sellers was "there's fish in it" lol. They did not clean it at all and it was a MESS when we moved in. I was able to get it cleaned out pretty well last summer but we had so much other stuff going on with moving and whatnot that it kind of got lost in the shuffle. I was able to get it clear with AlgaeFix, barley bales, and did get a vac that uses hose pressure. I have a feeling I'll be referring to these forums a lot as I just ordered some supplies and food from DrFosterSmith.com to get this spring off to a little better start!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is a shame old home owners do not care enough to provide info to new owners .My leaks were from putting pumps on a crate and koi knocking crate so water leaked out since it was winter and no hoses hooked to the outlet and it just spit out the top from the top .Now i have pipes running across my pond and pumps are tied and hung from pipes with rope that is waterproof .I can lower or raise them easier and pull them out easier to clean them .The other was not a leak it was just frozen water in filter and since filters are inside pond liner water goes straight back into the pond .I love it no leaks that way and hoses are inside pond and run straight up the waterfall and into the filter .Leaks there just run straight back into the pond .I want it worry free

Ask a Question