Found the culprit!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
If you zoom in you can see what has been taking my tadpoles!

Attachments

• 062D2897-1065-4CDD-B0D8-B435358D2324.jpeg
    062D2897-1065-4CDD-B0D8-B435358D2324.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Hope your tadpole disappearance turns around with the next batch.
I've had a lot of tadpoles in my pond, the numbers were dropping. This afternoon, as I was weeding, I kept startling 1/2 inch frogs out of the grasses. I am hoping they are cute native tree frogs rather than an invasive species (Cuban tree frog), or, worse, the dreaded Cane Toad. The little 'uns are too small for me to ID.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
He/she has just stayed in the same spot all day...Is this normal...Is this the way they hunt or could he/she possibly be digesting a frog or fish? I thought snakes moved around a lot but this is the first water snake that I have ever seen and am clueless....Addy1?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
seeing as most of the country is 90 or above right now . i bet he got a full belly and found a nice cool spot to chill. nnot to mention yes snakes are mostly amush preditors where they wait for prey to pass by them . but they will go looking as well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
figured as much but didn't want to say anything and creep you out
When I first saw his head I WAS creeped out but I am getting used to it now...Never minded snakes before but the thought of how many times a day I put my hand in the pond to arrange things is unnerving...especially taking the lid off of the skimmer which I do daily to take leaves out of the basket. It is level with the ground which causes me to have to wrap my fingers around the lip to pull it up....EEEEKKK!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
When I first saw his head I WAS creeped out but I am getting used to it now...Never minded snakes before but the thought of how many times a day I put my hand in the pond to arrange things is unnerving...especially taking the lid off of the skimmer which I do daily to take leaves out of the basket. It is level with the ground which causes me to have to wrap my fingers around the lip to pull it up....EEEEKKK!
A suggestion. Get a stick or dowel, 18-24" long, and put a large screw-in hook on the end. When you go to clean the skimmer, gently thump the lid a couple of times to startle anything out, then use the hook to lift the lid (I'm assuming it's plastic so not too heavy). The pole will keep you a little distant from anything creepy, slithering, or hopping (frog). You can use the same tool to swish around in the pond to startle anything out of the way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
A suggestion. Get a stick or dowel, 18-24" long, and put a large screw-in hook on the end. When you go to clean the skimmer, gently thump the lid a couple of times to startle anything out, then use the hook to lift the lid (I'm assuming it's plastic so not too heavy). The pole will keep you a little distant from anything creepy, slithering, or hopping (frog). You can use the same tool to swish around in the pond to startle anything out of the way.
Thanks for the tip Sarah…that is exactly what I did this morning after seeing how long he is (when I turned on my pond lights last night he went slithering across the pond and I was able to see that he is about 3 feet long !) yesterday, when I saw his head I thought he was just a baby LOL!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He/she has just stayed in the same spot all day...Is this normal...Is this the way they hunt or could he/she possibly be digesting a frog or fish? I thought snakes moved around a lot but this is the first water snake that I have ever seen and am clueless....Addy1?
I had some that just hung out never moving, some moved all the time, some chased the fish, some swam real fast after almost nothing, some on top of lily pads looking for frogs, some on land, some in the ponds, some on rocks, some in the bog.

But then again I had 14 to watch between last year and this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I had some that just hung out never moving, some moved all the time, some chased the fish, some swam real fast after almost nothing, some on top of lily pads looking for frogs, some on land, some in the ponds, some on rocks, some in the bog.

But then again I had 14 to watch between last year and this year.
I'm just happy I don't have that problem addy1....This guy was alone and only stayed while two frogs were laying eggs...must be a delicacy for him...When the frogs left (or were eaten) he left and I haven't seen him since....

Ask a Question