Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I had to go mow the outermost 3 acres on my land today and while I was taking a break this eastern box turtle came out of the woods and sat in front of me for about 10 minutes so I took some photos. I think it is a female judging by the eyes and she looked very healthy and seeing that she was in the outermost part of my land means there is 11 acres between my house and her local & about 15 miles of land to the next neighbor so I let her go one her way. Now if I had startled it or even came close to hitting it with the tractor then yes I would have kept it for a few days to observe the health and disposition to make sure it had not encountered a potentially lethal amount of stress (yes you can "scare" or "stress" a turtle to death) then I would put her in the rescue sanctuary but she was happy so she is probably about a mile away by now doing turtle stuff :)
10429247_870135833022636_1658260349554763380_n.jpg
11150465_870135879689298_6919557471524727473_n.jpg
\

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get a lot of them here, I put the turtle escape platforms in the ponds so they would not drown. The two bad ponds are the stock tanks with the smooth straight walls. The liner ponds they have no problem getting out of.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
We get a lot of them here, I put the turtle escape platforms in the ponds so they would not drown. The two bad ponds are the stock tanks with the smooth straight walls. The liner ponds they have no problem getting out of.
The ramps are a good and nice thing of you to add for the box turtles because although they can "swim" it does not take long to tire them out and they can't really hold their breath underwater. Also placing an alternate water supply (small dish etc.) around that is easy for them to drink from helps too cause that is mainly why they come to a pond in the first place. Either for water or if you have vegetation then for a snack.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a 4x27 foot bog of shallow water and plants for them to enjoy. I found a drowned turtle in the stock tank so I added the get out ramps for them.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I have a 4x27 foot bog of shallow water and plants for them to enjoy. I found a drowned turtle in the stock tank so I added the get out ramps for them.
I am sure they love that bog. The one who drowned unfortunately was curious I suppose and realistically there is no way to avoid that altogether but at least with a ramp they have some form of self rescue available :)

Ask a Question